Scion xB Home

Go Back   Scion xB Forum > Scion xB - Generations > 2nd Gen: 2008 Scion xB > Scion xB Lights & Electronics
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
jedimasta

jedimasta is on a distinguished road
Adding bluetooth

Just got my 2nd gen xB yesterday with SNS. I opted out of the bluetooth addition because it had a $600 price tag to go with it. I'm wondering a few things now:

A) Is it worth getting?
B) Does it integrate with the SNS at all? (i.e. caller ID, dial from LCD, etc..)?
C) Is there somewhere I can get the kit to easily do this on my own?
D) If so, bout how much is it gonna run me?
E) Should I just stick with my BT headset and be content with the SNS as is? Cuz I AM pretty damn content?

-2 day xB owner and lovin ever minute of it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
motowncali
new owner

motowncali is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding bluetooth

You can't change anything on the GPS while driving, what makes you think it will let you make a phone call????? LOL Couldn't resist, I was actually surprised that it wasn't built in anyway for the $$ paid for the unit. More than anything, I wanted to get an email with notification of a real answer to this question.

Mo
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
jedimasta

No kidding huh?

Yeah, see I really liked the funcitonality and sheer amount of options found on the Sync system Ford has goin on some of there 08's. My phone itself has voice operation with the bluetooth headset, so that would certainly carry over, but if the system is simply "audio through speakers" I'll just skip it all together. I want where it stops or dims the music and rings when a call comes in, I can adjust volume with steering controls and certainly a caller ID or dial from GPS (since its got some phone number lookup) would be ideal.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
motowncali
new owner

motowncali is on a distinguished road

I haven't looked into it, but what you just described is what two of my friends have in their trucks. They are aftermarket systems, but still. Radio goes mute and you talk over the system. Makes it easy to hear. Has a small mic by the sun visor. One even has the back up camera hooked in too so when he puts the truck into reversse, it automatically turns on the camera view on the monitor. Very nice set up.

Mo
Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
jedimasta

Exactly. I haven't started really lookin at the aftermarket stuff, though I did see an ebay auction that was selling the unit that was supposedly the one the dealer's install. I'm tempted just to call my sales guy back and ask him for as much info as he can give me.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Lvbitwiz

Lvbitwiz is on a distinguished road

you could go with a unit from Parrot Bluetooth
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
jedimasta

Well sure, there are dozens of these types of retail products that would be generally plug and play. I was interested in finding a device meant to be paired with my head unit.

Speaking of which, who actually manufactures the SNS? Anyone know the brand and model? I'm curious to see what kind of additions, updates or modifications I can do to it. Perhaps an audio visualizer or updated software to show, for example, album art from my iPod.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Lvbitwiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasta View Post
Well sure, there are dozens of these types of retail products that would be generally plug and play. I was interested in finding a device meant to be paired with my head unit.

Speaking of which, who actually manufactures the SNS? Anyone know the brand and model? I'm curious to see what kind of additions, updates or modifications I can do to it. Perhaps an audio visualizer or updated software to show, for example, album art from my iPod.

Having the sns (and having torn into it) it's alpine. You can't add Bluetooth to it, you would need a third party unit like a parrot (which I might add has a rather nice harness to integrate with the OEM harness). Scion dosent have one. The dealer is just pushing an overpriced aftermarket addon

Sadly, there isn't much else you can do to it (short of hacking the firmware) No where on the internal boards is there a place that would have housed a video in, or USB etc...

I have taken advantage of the video out to feed headrests and also added an HD radio reciever (from Dice electronics) to the Sat input (PS2 takes the aux in)
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
jedimasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvbitwiz View Post
I have taken advantage of the video out to feed headrests and also added an HD radio reciever (from Dice electronics) to the Sat input (PS2 takes the aux in)
Wait... there's a video out? Now I'm intrigued. Are there threads here that I haven't seen yet on your mods? I'm more of a tech geek than anything else, so this sounds up my alley.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Lvbitwiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasta View Post
Wait... there's a video out? Now I'm intrigued. Are there threads here that I haven't seen yet on your mods? I'm more of a tech geek than anything else, so this sounds up my alley.
To be honest, I don't think I posted too many of them here. Ill work up a thread tonight
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
jedimasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvbitwiz View Post
To be honest, I don't think I posted too many of them here. Ill work up a thread tonight
Coo. Anything you got on the SNS, I'll be interested in reading.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Lvbitwiz

Until I get some time to make a pretty post, Ill list off just the ICE/Electronics mods

SNS Bypass (props to Randode for the DIY for this one)
Headrest monitors (not Scions)
PS/2
Custom Fiberglass Sub Enclosure
Underdash/seat lighting
Amp install w/Line converter (thanks to Navone Engineering for the fast delivery)
Relocation of the Ipod / Aux input to inside the center console
Wireless headphone install (for PS/2)
Video distro amps install
New gauge face
Gauge face LED swap
Led lighting swap on dome/map/cargo lighting
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
amerchant

amerchant is on a distinguished road

i don't know about the rest of the brands out there but i'm a big fan of Nokia and Motorola. They are pretty reliable from my experience.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Revrent

Revrent is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Revrent Send a message via Skype™ to Revrent

What is the aftermarket blue tooth system? I just installed the SNS and will need it soon.

God bless
John
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
robertjcurrie
2008 XB

robertjcurrie is on a distinguished road

I went with the Parrot MK6100 with the plug and play wiring harness, hooked right up to the SNS and was done in about 30 minutes....
Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
coachnbb

coachnbb is on a distinguished road

Motorola T505 is the way to go for aftermarket blutooth
Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
leadfoot_mf

leadfoot_mf is on a distinguished road

i have the parrot ck3100 lcd in my car and truck and it works great. works best with samsung phones. motorolla phone not so much. easy to install and is better than using the phone itself.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #18
jtwopark

jtwopark is on a distinguished road

just go to longo scion and play with one of the cars that has it installed already! Longo has a couple of them laying around decked out to around $26k..surely that must have the bluetooth....if not then just go aftermarket...but i doubt that it will be intergrated into the SNS. The sound quality on the SNS is really mediocre at best. Not really to good sounding. The sensitivity level of the components is kinda cheap! just from my experience. Eclipse makes a way better sounding deck!
Closed Thread