Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY: Changing gear oil 1st Gen xB manual transmission

96K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  mntegra01 
#1 ·
This DIY is to change the gear oil in the manual transmission of the first generation xB.

You'll need the following:

2 Quarts gear oil
24mm socket and 1/2 drive ratchet
Towels
Drain pan
Gloves
Long funnel
Car ramps for jack and jack stands.

AS ALWAYS, USE CAUTION AND SAFE WORKING PRACTICES WHEN YOU ARE UNDER YOUR VEHICLE. BE SURE IT IS SUPPORTED SECURELY AND YOU ARE USING THE PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT.

Start by locating the fill hole for the manual transmission.

Next, apply enough brute force to bust the sucka loose.

Always remember, butt crack is optional!

Next, crawl under the vehicle and locate the drain plug.

Loosen the bolt and hold pressure against it until it has loosened all the way. Pull the plug from the hole and allow the used gear oil to drain into the pan.

Once all the used gear oil has drained from the transmission, clean the area and replace the drain plug along with the washer and tighten.

Be sure to dispose of your used gear oil at a proper recycling location or facility.

Now it is time to refill the transmission with new gear oil. Pat has chosen to use Royal Purple brand.

Remember, don't be like Pat. This is not an adult beverage!

Pour the new gear oil into the transmission using the long funnel.

Once the transmission is full, remove the funnel and clean the area around the opening with a shop towel. Replace the bolt and you're done!

See less See more
Reactions: Slowneasy50
#7 ·
We couldn't find a recommendation on when to change it. Pat's got over 50,000 miles I believe.

i have a box you can do it to. = )

So is the fill exactly 2 quarts? also what should I torque the bolts back to?

I have 38 K and I would reccommend changing the gear oil every 30K, safe than sorry... especially with an auto tranny... change it often!

edit.... do you need a special washer like the oil plug needs? the one with the teflon coating?
Pat put just a little less than 2 quarts and the washer is already there. It's metal.

#6 · (Edited)
i have a box you can do it to. = )

So is the fill exactly 2 quarts? also what should I torque the bolts back to?

I have 38 K and I would reccommend changing the gear oil every 30K, safe than sorry... especially with an auto tranny... change it often!

edit.... do you need a special washer like the oil plug needs? the one with the teflon coating?

#8 ·
I noticed smoother shifts so far especially going into reverse I dont have to play around with the shifter to get it into gear.

Also my box has a short ram intake, if you have the stock intake you need to remove it to get to the fill plug. my car has 85,000 miles but the owners manual doesnt show any specific mileage to change the manual transmission oil. :)

#13 ·
I read that auto shops have equipment that "flush" out the entire transmission system instead of just draining it out and refilling it with fluid... anyone knows whether this commonly advertised service is actually worth paying for? Or is a DIY pretty much the same?

#19 ·
Now it is time to refill the transmission with new gear oil. Pat has chosen to use Royal Purple brand.

I see you have SAE 75WXXX Royal Purple brand...

I just bought some Synchromax for 12 bucks a quart and Im curious if thats ok to use seeing as how you didnt use it, BUt mine is

Synchromax High Performance Manual Transmission Fluid. And of course I have a manual gearbox...

#20 · (Edited)
Toyota calls for this grade of oil. (API GL-4 or GL-5: 75W90, 80W90)

Max-Gear 75W90 is that grade of oil.

Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automotive transmission fluid.

I had an Isuzu Trooper that used that grade oil. Its equivalent to 30 wt. motor oil or auto trans fluid.

Here is the link Royal Purple Transmission Lubricant Chart

#24 · (Edited)
Pep boys has it for 9 dolla something cents.

You dont need to get Royal Purple I just wanted to try it out having heard good things. I run Mobil 1 in my engine currently. I never used to run synthetic oil before in my cars.

Really any good oil with the right specifications will do just fine. :)

#25 · (Edited)
True... But the way I beat my cars... I think Synthetic Royal Purple in my gear box will bo me just fine and be worth the extra coin it cost. I already felt a huge difference when changing gears with the car off it didnt even make a notchy sound as it slid into the gears... Worth it IMO.. (in my opinion)

ended up having to use a 15/16 box end of a wrench for the drain plug. everything else was easy as I was taking out the air filter box anyways to put a new filter in.

I also run Mobil 1 engine oil in my box and I plan on keeping it till it turns rectangle and rev it up to 6 K on shifts... so its worth it for the extra protaction I believe synthetic will provide me. :)

And never underestimate your owners manual!!!!
Look in the back and it will tell you all the specs for everything!!
Spark plug gap
oil capacity
oil type
Transmission type and capacity... EVERYTHING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.