Scion xB Forum banner

Urgent need help!!

6K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  orangecherry 
#1 ·
So I went to change my spark plugs, which is a normal even for me with my Gen xB. However, this time I listened to the guy at Autonzone for some odd reason and bought the packet of anti-seize. I completely misunderstood the guys instructions (it was early and I was half asleep) anyway, I basically coated the entire bottom of the spark plug with the anit-seize..

Needless to say my car wouldn't start at first.. I finally got it started, however, it sounds muffled and transitions between different levels of idle.. It will idle low almost to the point of stalling but then picks back up and runs... I changed out the first set of spark plugs out with brand new ones (no anti-seize) and got the same results... I tried driving the car to possibly "burn off" the anti-seize, however, I could not get the car above 60 mph, RPM's never exceeded 3000 and at one point I am pretty sure that fireballs were flying out the tail pipe..*(which was kind of awesome yet not awesome at the same time)... i got it back to the house and the car died while I was driving into the garage.. I turned it back on and I heard a sound as if glass was breaking *shrug*... So needless to say I have no idea what to do... I have changed my spark plugs twice before and I have never had this problem.. I work on my car all the time it's just Saturday was just a bad day, I guess.... Has anyone else experienced this before..? Any help would be appreciated...

I changed my oil saturday and today I added sea foam to the gas time and crank case (oil).. also all my dashboard lights are on.. check engine, VSC, Trac Off, and Maint....

See less See more
#2 ·
There should be a front page article stating DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE WALMART FLUNKIES !!! first thing to do is clear ecm memory. Disconnect positive terminal and ground it for ten seconds. Reconnect positive and drive it. The pcm make me in "limp mode" . The glass breaking sound is probably the cat coverter cooling down. Clear the ecm then get back to us to go from there

#4 ·
That is the crazy part.. I NEVER listen to those doods.. I always ask on forums but for some reason Saturday I decided that it was a good day to take the bonejobs advice behind the counter... okay,.. I'll reset the ECM and get back to you guys.. thanks!

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

ECM or ECU..? Same thing?

#9 ·
if you short the positive battery lead and there is a charge in the system, which there will be, you can short out the maf. happened to me doing intake, car would not get above 3K rpm.
No I meant Walmart flunkies, the zone is where they go when Walmart wont have them anymore.
Holding the terminals together is a factory service technique that drains all the capacitors so there will.be no charge on the system. You must disconnect the positive terminal first so the system doesn't search for a ground through a component. You had another issue with maf, you cannot short it out by doing this method.
Glad you got itto running correctly. When I first started out in repairing cars I had numbered clothes line pins that attached perfectly to the wires to keep them straight .....I've graduated to a whiteout pen;)

#13 ·
The code that the car has been throwing is P0103 "air volume air circuit fault" ... Should I try cleaning the MAF..? Even after pulling the EFI fuse and disconnecting the battery it is still doing the same thing...
So I changed the MAF and the codes vanished... Now... When the car idles it just dies... And sometime when I start it back up it sounds shards of glass or metal rubbing against each other from underneath... In addition, when I am driving on the highway it runs but barely has any horse power. Is it the catalytic conv from the spark plug wires being crossed or is it something different..? Any ideas...

#14 ·
It sounds like you caused major damage to your engine when you crossed the wires. I'd have your xB towed to a shop for diagnosis.

#19 ·
Why don't you try this simple test first before thinking about cutting up the exhaust system. If you do this and all you hear is the sound of the starter then it's not an engine problem. Then you can move on to the cat.

#22 ·
John & Victor are professionals, so let's hope they're correct.

#23 ·
gotta be careful with nevr-sieze, the gray stuff is generally nickel based {the good stuff} works great up to about 2k degrees, bad part is it destroys 02 sensors and if the nickel hits the cat, it will cause a hot spot and melt them where ever it touches. I work for a company that makes cats and diesel filters, we do tons of testing on them and nevr-seize ALWAYS destroys the individual cells it contacts. Have to be very careful using it on anything part of the exhaust that extends to the inside of it.

#26 ·
Any idea what size I should be looking at..? I am assuming round for the shape but they have 2, 2.5, and 2.75 as possible choices..

---------- Post added 07-26-2012 at 12:52 PM ----------

I am currently running a fajita f5 cai and I have an axle back exhaust of that helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.