Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

performance and gas mileage

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lilblakbox 
#1 ·
i've noticed recently that i havent been getting very good gas mileage. i do have 18's but i used to get better gas mileage and i noticed that my car runs alittle sluggish. i have about 50k on it, any ideas.

#2 ·
sluggish as in acceleration?...highway speed?...need to be alittle more specific...

there old addage is the following:
common everyday cars are built for
1. economy
2. reliability
3. no perforamance

when doing any change to a car, including adding wheels you will alter one of the 3 things listed above...plain and simple...

the more you change, the more you are subject to seriously alter one of the 3...

rule of thumb is, if you want one of those 3 to change, expect to only have 1 or possably 2 of the above things to survive...

if you want performance, then expect reliability to diminish along with economy...

if you add tires, expect economy to diminish...thats why all those mitsu freaks and honda and subaru freaks do all those mods...and simply destory the car they have...and then they complain about it...lol...sorry, but its the way things go when changing things out...

#3 ·
i'm having the same issue so i put my stock wheels back on and the mileage is bout the same as having my 18s on. i'm roughly getting 300 miles to the tank with mild mods (exhaust, cai, ground kit). i think it all boils down to how heavy footed you are. the only way i save more gas is if i drive the speed limit. as far as how many miles are on the car i'm around 28,000

#5 ·
I get the shakes at the light in mine also. The tach looks about 500 to 700. neutral helps. A more flow exhaust helped. I figure it's' just a low idle setting.
Or it just doesn't like standing still!
I like the lower front bumper protection you show in the picture of your ride will you let me know where to got . Im' looking to get ready for winter.

Which makes my wonder what everyone does up north to protect the xB from the elements.

#6 ·
Did you say that you had an intake? If you do, that may be why your car shakes, i have an intake an it shakes alll the time and with the auto transmission putting it in drive already lowers the RPMs which may cause your car to sound like it might stall although it wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.