Scion xB Forum banner

Weapon R header and downpipe inquiry

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  PhatSWXB 
#1 ·
I purchased a used set from eBay, I also ordered the manifold gasket. But I wonder what other parts usually come with the set if you buy it new, like gasket to connect to the scuba section, and bolts to connect the headers to the down pipe. Would anyone here who bought the weapon R header and down pipe brand new, be able to chime in on what came with theirs? Or will sure stock stuff be good to connect all this up to the XB, and yes it has the CEL eliminator on the header.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
although i cant offer any specific help with the second gen or the header. but id recomend if your living in a rusty part of the country to get a new spring bolt kit... aka the bolts that hold the manifold to the cat.. and a new gasket.

today... well yesterday now lol... i replaced my cat which had a leak and man those two bolts were absolutely destroyed to the point where i had to cut the cat pipe and pull the manifold with a section of the pipe up with it to even get the bolts out, which i had to cut off and drill them out.

the part number for the bolt kit is WALKER 36454 its 4.44 on rockauto. i posted up some pics on the "what did you do on your scion today" thread if you want to see how f-ed they were.

anyways i wish you luck!!!! hopefully you live in a rust free area

---------- Post added 05-21-2017 at 01:02 AM ----------

ah man i just looked it up. your manifold is in the front of the motor and then swings rearward. the 1st gen is the opposite.

i saw the weapon r header and its looking like the flanges on the header and the downpipe arent threaded for the bolts. if you do get a new set of springs and bolts that walker kit doesnt have any nuts. but the size for them are M10 1.25 pitch

#3 ·
Well, thanks for the advice. I don't live in a major rust area, so my bolts were very reusable, the Xb has just less than 75k miles on it, so they were in good shape. I got everything installed, luckily I bought a gasket to go where the s-pipe connects to the cat, and then I had extra nuts to match the stock bolts at that connection. I couldn't use the factory spring bolts at the moment. The doughnut gasket that goes where the header meets the s-pipe is kind of buggered and I'll have to pull it and grind it out with my dremel and that will probably allow me to put the factory spring bolts in. I will able to use nuts off the factory manifold brackets to match to the spring bolts once I get under there and readjust everything. But after day one of just short driving on the header and s-pipe set up it sounds a bit better. My injen CAI is still very loud but I think the exhaust and the intake now are about the same level in decibels. I'll probably have my custom flowmaster cat back system modified a bit to get a better sound with a new tip, which could make it louder, because there is a resonator and packing in the current tip I am running that could be silencing the output a bit.

For 200 bucks vs 450-600 brand new, I'd say it was perfect timing after waiting so long to decide if I was going to do the whole header and s-pipe upgrade. YIPEE!

#5 ·
Well,

After almost a week of driving with it, the vehicle really accelerates more smoothly, and between gear transitions there is a smoother power delivery. There is definitely a midrange smoothness. It pulls well through the gears at lower speeds unlike before. It feels easier to leave in a higher gear at low speeds like below 50 and easy to accelerate with or without having to change gears and going up hills. Freeway it feels good, even though I hate driving the freeway most of the time. Still need to get the right mounting bolts for the header to s-pipe connection. The bolts I have rigged in there now haven't worked loose, but I think there is a very slight leak, that is really only audible at start up, but that may just the headers needing to warm up. I was able to grind the doughnut ring with my dremel to make it fit better, but I think it is still the wrong ring, the outside diameter seems way to thick, which is what is making the s-pipe not able to connect all the way properly, but even it fits properly, using the factory spring seems like won't work. I found a different set from a junkyard, but haven't had a chance to test fit them. Anyways I have no CEL and I wonder if when smog test season rolls around in just short of 2 years, I'll be able to just put the factory manifold back on and jump into the smog check station and pass.

Anyways, I haven't really been doing too many mods lately, been busy working too much. I have stereo upgrades galore I haven't documented, new amps, new Gates Serpentine belt to match , the new Singer alternator, ( my factory one took a dump), and needed a bigger one anyway with the new stereo system, which still isn't finished yet. This summer should be a busy summer of upgrades though, still love this XB even though it's getting a bit old now, but it barely has over 77,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.