Scion xB Forum banner

TRD Supercharger or Aftermarket Turbocharger

58K views 61 replies 42 participants last post by  trdrs6 
#1 ·
I have following questions and hope to get some advice. Not going to do before full research!

1) Which produce better HP and Torque?
2) I know both do but which will harm the engine more?
3) Which need more follow up care?
4) Which need more parts and accesories.
5) Which one will break down easier?

TRD costs $3900 installed with all part and labor
Turbo Charger with Intercooler cost $6500 installed with labor and part (not sure the brand yet).

Which is better value versus performance?
Anyone in Los Angeles are provide services?

THANKS

#8 ·
supercharger installed at the dealer does not void warranty, plus a turbo in general has more stuff to worry about and puts more strain on the motor. turbos also give u the danger of boost spikes.

#9 ·
1. Turbo=hp
Supercharger=some torque and some hp
2. Turbo will always be less reliable than a s/c. Turbos always require a lot
of maintance and tunning
Superchargers are more reliable because they are ran off the engine and
not from the exhaust.
3. S/c is possible to run without an intercooler so you save about 1000-1200
right there. Both systems will need a tunning setup and will have to be
tuned. Turbos are more picky than supercharger, with gas, air mixtures
so you won't always get the best performance with a turbo if you have it
tuned to a certain altitude and go across the states to another altitude it
won't run as well as what conditions it was tuned in.
4. Turbo

Supercharger will always cost less than a turbo. If you are going for just fun need some more spunk than what you have now and want boost go with the supercharger. If your planning on doing some serious racing and wanting some quick times then run a turbo, but don't let it be a daily driver cause it won't work out. Supercharger will take power to make power, thats really the only draw back. You'll be pushing prolly 6 lbs. which will be a noticable increase when driving but don't expect more than about 15-18 hp from it...

#16 ·
lol good luck finding this. i know of 2 here and they are owned by he same person and they dont run either of em haha
TRD Turbo Tuning Plan

#20 ·
From personal experence i like turbo.... it needs to spool but if its done right it should beat a s/c

example:
1990 crx with a bone stock k20a and a t3 "GT3076R"
vs
a 1989 hatch with the same set up but with a s/c

both at 10psi and he would pull me untill mid gear and id run up next to him and in the top of 2ed and 3rd and 4th gear id pull about 10-15 feet.... it could be driver error but at the end i was a ways infront of him

#21 ·
I think it mainly depends on how much time you're willing to spend messing with your car. I have a TRD supercharger and I love it. I've also had turbo cars, but they just require a lot of diligence. If you're not looking for crazy power gains, then go TRD. It sounds amazing at the top of the gauge.

#23 ·
I have been thinking deeply about a TRD supercharger. They are a much safer route. And I won't some fun power. Has anyone changed out the pulleys on the TRD that anyone knows of? If so how much power have they gained?

#25 ·
I believe they are as well. But never know if I come across one for sale. Shot in a dark but I won't ever turbo my car but would def supercharge it!!!

#26 ·
Yes the supercharger is discontinued. You can change the pulleys but you need to upgrade the fuel supply system and the engine management if you do. The system is designed for the pulley it comes with and going to a smaller puley can cause problems. One of my club memebers did it with his tC and started to ahve problems with his engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.