LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RCRat is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
DIY - LEDGLOW Headliner Install

Okay so before we begin I must say, I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MISTAKES!!

LEDGLOW will not honor the warranty once this mod is done to their LED bars, so if you break it you buy it!!

This DIY is not for the faint of heart. LEDGLOW will not honor the warranty once this mod is done to their LED bars, so if you break it you buy it!!
And if you don't know how to solder, get some practice before attempting. There is no soldering directly involved in this DIY..HOWEVER, the LEDGLOW tube wires are delicate and can break off the solder easily.

Supplies Needed:

VERY New Blades for your X-Acto knife
Dremel with cut-off wheel
Small phillips screwdriver
Small blade screwdriver
Regular sized blade screwdriver
Shoe-Goo
Electrical tape
Popsicle sticks
Super-glue
Duct Tape
Wire
Soldering Gun with pencil tip/Solder/Flux
Calipers
Yard stick
12 Volt power supply (not necessary but helps)

So, let's begin:

Here is the unit I purchased

Take it outta the pack and test them to see that they all work...

Get ready to dremel....

Cut off the end...but be gentle and go slow. You are going to be cutting the clear tube only so that it can be slid off.

NOTE: DO NOT CUT INTO THE BLACK LED BAR INSIDE

Cut off the other side....

Now here is the delicate part of this operation. Set the dremel to low speed...You can see from the picture the very edge of the black LED bar. You will be cutting into the end cap, parallel to this edge. Do not cut very deep a little at a time....If you've used a dremel before you'll be able to 'feel' when it breaks through the plastic, RPM's increase and there is no drag. Cut both sides and go slow when getting to the wire. If you blast through the plastic like Rambo through your mom, don't fret you shouldn't hurt anything.

After you have gently cut through both sides of the end cap, pry it apart with a blade tipped screwdriver. And gently dislodge the wires from the remaining half of the cap. Small blade screwdriver comes in handy here

Now get the superglue and put a dab on the wires right where they meet the solder (in a sense locking those wires in place for now) and wait for it to dry. Then slowly and gently start peeling the 'factory' glob of glue off the wires. You wanna do this so that they can lay flat later on.

This picture shows the top one done and bottom one unfinished

All done....

Now solder the broken wire(s)...cuz you know you will break some!! And tuck the wire around the back of the bar and tape that end with electrical tape to help secure it.

Test them to make sure they work (12V power supply is handy here)

NOTE: NEVER carry the LED bars by the bar, always pick them up by the wire...TRUST ME!!!

Now, it's time to start cutting the headliner....(NEW BLADE, even if you just cut your wrists with it!!!!)...So take out the headliner (instructions elsewhere) and put it on a big table, the dining room table worked quite well for me. Place headliner cloth side down, we are going to be cutting from the back.

I measured the LED's to find out just how wide I needed to cut the slit.

I used this thing my wife has to measure and cut cloth for quilts....You don't need one to do this but it helped me alot.

Measure the LED bar from last LED to first, not the entire black bar, measure out your cutting area by this number. Find where you want to place the LED's and draw out your lines. The first line is the length and then measure 4.7mm and that is your height. I used a place of electrical tape so I didn't have to remember the length.

Now grab your X-Acto and 'score' the box you just drew out...it will be hard so apply some pressure...use your straight edge to get a clean cut. Once this is done. tear off the 'skin' of the piece you cut and dig out the guts (foam)...I used a chisel, but small screwdriver works just as well. I recommend doing them all at once, but change your blade after they are all done.

Now with a new blade...we are going to cut out the cloth portion of the slit. So, place a hard surface on the cloth side of the headliner and hold it in place...or press down the headliner (it won't break) so your cutting on a solid surface DO NOT CUT DIRECTLY ON YOUR TABLE!!! (I'll leave this for you to figure out how your going to do it.) and start cutting....ALOT of pressure here!!!! The sharper the blade and harder the pressure the better!!!

Now that's done...

Finish all of your slits and flip over the headliner to clean up the edges and trim a little. Now that I've done this...I recommend small 'toenail' scissors for this job...my big Fiskars couldn't get 'in there' very well.

Flip the headliner back over and cut out the 'countersink' for the LED bars to fit in...So measure the total length of the black bar and measure out that length, then your width is going to be about half an inch. We are going to be scoring and removing 'guts' just like we did earlier except we will not cut into the cloth. Draw out your lines and cut (it doesn't have to be neat because nobody's gonna see it anyway.

Now look at the picture above and you will ask yourself how am I going to 'shore' up this gap....I will explain that later on in this tutorial so don't worry it will be ROCK-SOLID when we are done.

Dave
\_____
l-l__l__\__
l(o)____(o)\
"I'm just too White & Nerdy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2009, 11:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY - LEDGLOW Headliner Install

Now place the LED bar inside this slit and dab some superglue on each end and flip it over so you can test fit it in there....

Looks good?....flip er' back over and dab some Shoe-Goo along the bar....

No need to cover it with this stuff cause it gets hard and bonds very well. Just dab like four places.

Now snap the Popsicle sticks in half and glue them on as well.

Once you're done....duct tape over it so that the LED Bar does not make contact with the metal of the roof. As you can see I taped the wires as well.

Now it's time to mount the controller....I put mine so that the sun visor would cover it up...

Trace it out...

Cut a rectangular hole so the connectors will fit thru...DO NOT cut the hole area out!!

Pull them thru and shoe-goo the wires....Later you can mount the controller with double stick tape or velcro.

Now take off the connector plate as shown...This is done because the connection will be better with this off. Also you'll want to remove the little cover on the LED bar wires. So take off this cover and the cover on the wire ends of the lights...they are screwed on...

Now with everything done and taped place the connector on the front section of the headliner and run all your wires to that point....(this is the biggest 'open' area on the headliner). Shoe-goo the connector block in place and connect your wires.

The other connector thingy is not part of the kit...

Now the power wires are going to be hooked up to the power wires of my doom light (at least for my application anyway) so I ran the wires to those and connected them...well, at least I will...

Test everything and make sure it all works (this is where the power supply comes in handy again).....then I put shoe-goo on the connectors in the block to insulate them and keep them from working themselves out.

ALL DONE!!!!

Lights out...flash off....

All light up!!!

Yes, they are extremely bright!!!

Mod, please don't close this thread until I can post a pic up of it installed in my box...I am doing the oh chit handles now and should have those done by this weekend. Thanks

Dave
\_____
l-l__l__\__
l(o)____(o)\
#3 Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 PM

bbdriver77 is on a distinguished road

nice job on this very helpful - is there a part 2 to this

never mind my comp is slow great job

( Descendants scion car club )

Last edited by bbdriver77; 09-30-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#4 Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM
PCH
06.5 TCM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough

Looks great, waiting for installed pics
#5 Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Stark Industries

hotweelz4me will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to hotweelz4me

Nice idea and write up. There are LED bar options out there that wouldn't require modification for something like this
#6 Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM

Waldo is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: DIY - LEDGLOW Headliner Install

wicked, Im diggin the green......hows it look when its installed in the box?? (Pics?)
#7 Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM

813_toaster is on a distinguished road

looks sik !! nice and bright DIY map lights FTMFW ..... now just do the whole damn headliner in LEDS
#8 Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Amazing

T0AST is on a distinguished road

dude. sweet.

2005 BSP xB - FWB N.FLa 850
#9 Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 AM

WigSplitter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 813_toaster View Post
looks sik !! nice and bright DIY map lights FTMFW ..... now just do the whole damn headliner in LEDS
Stay tuned...

I'm doing my entire headliner LED'd next week. I'll try and take pics along the way.
#10 Old 10-03-2009, 03:54 PM
[H.F.D.]

Knivez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Knivez

I'm waiting to see some pics of this already installllllled. Good job !
I like how bright they are.
#11 Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM

(Thread Starter)

Okay guys & gals...these pics do these lights NO JUSTICE as to how BRIGHT they really ARE!!!

And to answer a prtevious post....yes I could have gotten by easier without cutting and gotten the LED bars that don't require modification..BUT, I looked all over and couldn't find as cheap a set with as many lighting options and modes...including 'music dance' mode...so anyway, here we go......

Uploading YouTube video, now......

Dave
\_____
l-l__l__\__
l(o)____(o)\

Last edited by RCRat; 10-03-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#12 Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Ain't too Funk to Druck.

ketchup_xb will become famous soon enough ketchup_xb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ketchup_xb Send a message via Yahoo to ketchup_xb

damn that is hella bright. good job mang.

HelaFassDooo
Thank you my HFD family from the bottom of my<3 for the rack!
2ZERO6FACTORY.COM
ACCESSORYGEEKS.COM click it for cellphone/tablet accessories with free shipping
#13 Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 PM

(Thread Starter)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HgvyNnwSa8[/YOUTUBE]

Dave
\_____
l-l__l__\__
l(o)____(o)\
#14 Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Waldo is on a distinguished road

NICE, those look really bright.....probably cant drive with em on huh? but definately looks sweet.....ya got a mess on the floor though lol
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page