Scion xB Forum banner

Turning headlights on unlocks gear selector / pressing brake turns on dash lights

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  autoscionxb 
#1 ·
Hey all So I have a 2005 scion xb automatic while driving down the road my VSC, Traction control off and check engine light came on. I didn't notice any performance issues with the engine while driving. I ran the check engine light for codes and came back with a code of P0724- Brake switch B input circuit high. Shortly after doing that I noticed that when I step on the brake with the car off all my dash lights come on and the warning sound when you leave your head lights on. Also If the key is in the on position and I turn my headlights on it unlocks the gear selector allowing me to switch gears with out pressing the brake. When the headlights are on my third brake light also stays on all the time. Im lost on exactly what do do at this point and not sure what to do on resolving the issue I made an appt. at the local Toyota dealership but im trying to avoid the $155 an HR they charge to look at the car. Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

#2 ·
It looks like the brake light switch has failed and is always reading that the brake pedal is depressed. Less likely is a problem with the harness/ECM connector. Even less likely is a problem with the ECM itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.