Scion xB Forum banner

Fog Lighting Question & Relay Question.

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  onemat 
#1 ·
Hey all its Venom again ^^. Bringing you another question about fog lighting. I currently don't have them installed yet, but are being shipped out as we speak! I have ordered black projector headlights (being shipped) & have the HID kit here at home... I ordered the royal blue kit :p and was "hoping" to get some blue LED's to throw into the fogs to give off that "funny feeling appearance" :rolleyes:
My question basically being will these LED's work with the fogs...Also adding the foglight kit did not come with a relay so ordering one I hope this is a correct relay that will work?...^^ Thanks for your time and view!

Relay~

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Standard/Relay/SIRY302.html

The Fogs Ordered~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370941562753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Led's I was "hoping" to go into foggys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251327708182?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

See less See more
#2 ·
Everything looks good but not sure about fog relay that part# does not seem to cross reference with the OE Toyota part # 90987-02027
I get these using the OE part # here http://www.rockauto.com/
click part # search and enter OE #

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 2030133
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1R1696
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY465

Any local auto parts will be able to cross reference the OE part # for you

#3 ·
Phew good to know that those Led's will work with the fogs :')! But I'm kind of bummed about the relay...Because thats the only part I need for everything to click with the fogs...I did type in the part and found it is a "horn relay" which I'm pretty sure I read is the same for the fog relay... If this is true...The "Multi Purpose Relay" that cost me 23$... was a waste :/... and the site you showed me for part 2030133 shows the "horn" relay costing only 5.30...:mad::mad::mad: I just hope that the multi purpose relay I purchased will work with the fogs...If not hopefully it will come to use for something else on my Box -_-*....

#5 ·
Right on Bny I really appreciate that...thanks for your time and help man. :)

#6 ·
Do the fog light switches out of any other Scion or Toyota model compatible with the 1st Gen Xb's?

---------- Post added 08-20-2014 at 06:30 PM ----------

I just realized this forum has not edit button. Please excuse my bad grammar.

#7 ·
Good question buddy, would like to know the answer to this myself! :nerd:

#9 ·
I found this (key part) from a forum sight for Toyota Cruisers. Reverse engineering the authors comments, he/she seems to think the Fog Switch from a pre-'08 TC and Xa would work. Has anyone checked those possibilities out?

Cut and paste his comments:

84160-60040 is the Euro-spec rear fog light switch--larger, square with a curved profile , for the 91-94 models.

84160-60030 is the larger, square with a curved profile, for the 91-94 models. Mounts above the mirror adjust on the left (stock position) or would fit above heater controls on right (unless you already have the center diff lock switch installed).

84160-60050 rectangular, horizontal switch for a 95-97 (see post #93 : Toyota Fog Light Switch | IH8MUD Forum). Would also work in a 91-94 below the heater controls

Non-illuminated, vertical, rocker switch: 84160-28010 for an FJ80 or maybe a 4Runner, I think--reportedly not made any more (CDan).

The lighted fog lamp switches from pre '08 Scions are very similar and are reported to fit:
84160-52030 (tC and xA models)--Vertical version for those wanting to utilize the switch bay next to the dimmer control
84160-38010 (xB model)
Not sure of difference.

There is also some cheaper <$10 OEM auxillary fog light switches (US Cole Hersee) with illumination: 00550-35976
or nonlighted: PT297-89013-SW
These are easier to install as they don't require Molex harnesses--direct wire.

84160-28010 is a Japanese market switch for two sets of fog lights that can be toggled between while headlamps are running.

---------- Post added 08-21-2014 at 03:12 PM ----------

Early OEM fog light switch Part No.? | Page 2 | IH8MUD Forum

Link to the thread.

---------- Post added 08-21-2014 at 03:31 PM ----------

The link in the third paragraph take you to a conversation about how a Scion fog switch fits perfect in their 1990's vintage cars.

---------- Post added 08-21-2014 at 04:02 PM ----------

I just ordered a set of EBay aftermarket fog lights that comes with the switch. When I get it I think I'm going to take the switch to a Pic a Part wrecking yard (for fitment reference) and wonder the Toyota section and see what I might discover. Anyone else want to give that a try, so much the better.

#10 ·
I JUST completed the eBay "JDM" fogs this weekend. Super easy. I went to a junk yard and grabbed a few relays that work. Do not buy one from a dealer, parts store, etc. I got a new relay from Advance and it was inoperable the moment I installed it. Put in one of my junk yard Toyota relays, and BOOM, I had fog lights.

Once I find the number for it, I'll be making a write up video.

#11 ·
So I purchased a new relay, Denso part number for the horn relay. Went Denso as that is the OEM supplier for Toyota. Installed it in the slot mentioned in the write up elsewhere on this forum.

Horn Relay Denso 567 0004 | eBay

Got my fog and switch kit, installed, no power getting to the lights. I checked the switch for continuity, switch is fine.

What makes sense to me is the Relay isn't working. But given Horn and Fog are supposed to be identical, and the relay is new out of the box, I wouldn't think so.

So I pulled up the FSM pdf I bought off EBay, and see there is a separate fuse for the fog on the fuse box under the dash. DOH!!! I'll check that out when I get home tonight. But since it's a fuse specifically for the Fog, pretty good bet.

Since I don't see installing a fuse (15 Amp) mention in the Fog Install thread, thought I'd mention it here for future forum searchers.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 02:56 PM ----------

As a reminder you need the fuse.

---------- Post added 09-02-2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

And checking tonight, the fuse is already there and in good working order.

Sooooo, I have some other reason why the fog bulbs aren't getting power. So next to bench test the relay.

VENOM, did the horn relay work out for you? I got the same relay.

#12 ·
No it did not...I did everything correct as the DIY on this forum provided and nothing...Its got to be the relay. I have no idea on where to look on getting a legit one that will get my fogs going :(...

#14 ·
Thanks Yoda,

I actually used that thread as reference for the switch and relay installation. I just read past the fuse part on first read.

I need to follow the wires and make sure something isn't funky between the relay and light bulbs. 9 years of prior mystery ownership, who knows what evil lurks. On the surface everything is in correctly. So I need to dive deeper I guess.

BTW, she's (the wife has named her Abby) coming along. Accumulating all possible needed parts for the brand spanking new (not rebuilt) engine to drop in. Hopefully it will be running and QC'd by the end of the month.

#15 ·
So, to finish this story, and problem was that I hadn't pushed the relay all the way into it's slot. All is good now.

#16 ·
Hi All,

Sorry to Hijack this thread. I am about two steps behind on the foglight install that you guys just did. My number one question is, Where exactly does the fog light relay go? I have an 05 xB. The lights , switch and relay all came from a seller in Japan. I'm using the rocker switch used by American dealers as the one from JDM had four wires with a power light. I did not feel like cutting it in and risking making a mistake and burning up my wiring harness. So I have the lights in, the switch and 15 AMP fust in. Where does the relay go?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Matt

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.