Scion xB Forum banner

Fog lights... OEM or eBay?

13K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I have a set from eBay. Fitment is eh but they are cheap. Pickup a switch from oznium and a relay from auto zone and its still half the price of the OEM stuff. I mean just for perspective toyota wants $60-75 just for the freakin relay. I think it's like $12 for the same relay at autozone....

Sent from somewhere you've never seen before using tapatalk

---------- Post added 08-12-2013 at 03:28 AM ----------

Also I ran HIDs in there for about a year. I wanted yellow and I wasn't too impressed with the color of the yellow HIDs so I switched back to halogen. Didn't find any problems with the HIDs (also from eBay) and I ran then for about a year but the other members do make a good point about possible melting issues because the temperature of the HIDs isn't always consistent between models/colors.

Sent from somewhere you've never seen before using tapatalk

#11 ·
Tap the power and ground from your parking light to pins 85 and 86(drivers side only)
Then run power from the battery to pin 30 with a fused wire (check autozone)
Then T-off pin 87 to your fogs.
HIDs would require lower gauge wire than halogens of course.

#13 ·
I just bought a set of aftermarket fog lamps off ebay from sconic motor. The photos of all these lamps look the same so I am wondering if there is just one manufacturer. The lights came with the wrong bracket for the large mounting hole so I had to buy those separately. Even with the correct mounting bracket I couldn't get these to seat properly and am sending them back. I installed a set of OEM lamps in a previous xB and don't recall having fitment problems. Can anyone give me a link to a specific ebay (or other) seller where you have purchased aftermarket (but oem-style) fog lights and they have fit well?

#15 ·
not that I can find. TYC is a big manufacturer of oem replacement headlight, taillights, fog lights and marker lights but they don't even make the fog lights. I was hoping they did cause that's what I was going to go with. I ended up buying a set of jdm fogs on ebay, didn't want to mess with fitment issues.

#19 ·
My aftermarket fogs seated fine. I just learned that you need to mount the lower plastic clip (bracket) first to the fog light housing and they press it all in. I have a Solar Yellow '05, so I wanted the yellow fogs for cosmetic reasons.

My question, do the OEM fogs have a sharper cut on the light they throw off than the aftermarket? The fluting on the lenses looks the same, but I was expecting a much sharper cut when I went to shine them on the garage door to adjust their aim.

#20 ·
So I notice that the eBay fog light kits only come with he lights & switch. Do all of the xB's have the wiring already there to hook up the lights & switch? I would love to add some to my new to me 06 BSP xB.

#21 ·
Yes. But you also need a relay.

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2
#25 ·
Any of the three would be fine. I put mine in the left one. I have a Mute switch for my AVIC head unit in the middle, and the glass shatter sensor on the right.

I think I've got one of the relays you need. Let me check my box of madness and if I do I'll PM you.

Aside from the contortion needed to install the relay (hint - remove the kick panel), it really is an amazingly easy install.

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2
#28 ·
100 times better is quite a difference.

Do you have nighttime pictures of the fog light shining against a wall to illustrate?

#35 ·
Interesting.

I'd be very interested in what the beam pattern shining on a wall will look like.

#37 ·
I bought a pair of eBay fogs but when I went to install them today I couldn't get them to feel snug and tight in the opening. Any tricks to get them tight? They seemed to snap in okay but still remained loose. The pin on the outside slides into the hole & then 2 pics snap into the holes closer to the midline of the car. I did find the wiring harness okay. :D

#41 ·
Any help from anyone? I'm trying to hook up my fog lights and I'm not sure where the harness plug is located for the fog light switch. I was hoping to use the blank below the cigarette light outlet. I also am having trouble finding where the fog light relay goes. I even drove down to Car Toys and one of the installers looked under the dash for where it when without success. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-28-2015 at 03:30 AM ----------

Hello? Any help out there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.