Scion xB Forum banner

New steering wheel but horn is not working

5K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  dahozzmn 
#1 ·
I need help fellas, i installed my celica steering wheel a few weeks ago a never got the horn to work, well it worked for a hour or so them stopped.
Unsuccessful Steps to trouble shoot the issue
Check all connections*
Check all connectors*
Reinstall wheel*
Check fuse*
What went wrong?

See less See more
#2 ·
Grounding the horn wire to the center hub, horn should honk. Confirm that it does. From the picture, my bet would be the blue connection wire to the stock horn wire from the clock spring is faulty. Soldered or crimped ?

#4 ·
can you manually honk the horn by grounding the blue wire spade? If not, try the horn wire (same white/red color code) at the connector on the other end of the clock spring inside the steering wheel shroud. If you can't manually honk the horn from the front but can on the other, then you have a failed clock spring. I had to replace mine to fix an air bag error code, so it does happen.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:32 AM ----------

Unless you inadvertently damaged the connection to the clock spring connector when you were manipulating the wire to solder the blue wire to it.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:36 AM ----------

Bottom line, if it was working fine before and then temporarily after then in the process you knocked something loose in the area you were working. Very simple circuit and no doubt when you find it you'll do the Homer Simpson "DOH!!". :)

#10 ·
"So where does white and red short cable connects to? To the metal?"

Wait.

You have been sliding the female spade you soldered to the White/red wire onto the male spade section on the back of the air bag skeleton when you were reassembling the steering wheel. Right?

#12 ·
LOL You had me worried by your question.

I assume you got a clock spring out of another '06. The '04-05 versions only provide for air bag and horn wire connection pass through.

Anyway, it's all plug and play.

One more question. Did you check for continuity from the female spade to the pin on the plug that goes into the clock spring?

#16 ·
You only need a clock spring from an '06 if your running anything more than the horn and air bag from the steering wheel. For instance, if you want to add steering wheel radio controls, you'll need one from an '06 as the clock spring from an '04 & '05 doesn't provide for those extra wire connections.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 07:04 PM ----------

Glad I was able to help.

Beep Beep :)

#15 ·
Glad you got it sorted. Quick question, for my 05, would I need a clock spring from an 06 or will my clock spring work with that wheel? Reason I ask is I just replaced my clock spring. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.