Usual Suspect

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pirate is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
DIY Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier

My DIY Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier:

If you've looked for a Class II 1 1/4" trailer hitch cargo carrier you already know our choices are limited. I wanted one that would flip out, out of the way when not in use. A nice option for city parking. I mean really, how uncivilized is it to go anyware with less than 2 coolers right?

I got my Class II hitch from E-trailer.com. It took longer to get out of the box than it did to install. Delivery time 3 days. If they haven't updated the listing YES the 2009 does fit the 2010.

I found this on their site: etrailer.com - 10184 Rola Assembly Bracket and Fastener Kit for 59108 Enclosed Cargo Carrier
Rola Assembly Bracket and Fastener Kit for 59108 Enclosed Cargo Carrier

The 1st step I did was to simply switch the brackets so that the flanges were on the outsides vs. the Rola intructions. This would facilitate the flip up design I had in mind. The support arms come with two sets of holes to give you cleance options. I have dogs that will use the platform to jump into the XB so I used the interior set to not have a gap between the bumper(your choice based on need). I installed bolts into the bottom holes (one each side) using nylon washers and snugged them tight enough to pivot. I rotated the arms up and drilled an additional hole for the pins I use to lock the arms in the upright position.

The arms were a bit too long. So I took them to my friendly neighborhood Custom Rod shop and had them use the plasma cutter. They cut, following the origanal lines taking the end down 2" to appx. 20" lenght. They cleaned up the cuts & touched it up with a little black paint. I was very happy with the results.

Next, I used a 3/4" finished cabinet grade brich plywood. mine was cut to 20"x38". I put on 5 coats of Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Exterior paint. Black on the deck, bright yellow on the the molding. That's a good water proof product that comes in semi or gloss.

The yellow does jump right out at you in traffic. I learned this after the 1st one I bulit for my Sub got nailed at a traffic light. I used an indoor/outdoor mat on the deck for load surface. It also makes it easier for the dogs to get footing on.

After the 1st assembly I still didn't like the open space from the front of the deck to the bumper BUT, I could not use a wider deck as I could not pivot it to the up position as the crossbar was in the way. I added a 4"x 36" pc of plywood (size of the matt) with two 4" door hinges. Now the small spacer pc. could be folded out of the way to allow the unit to fold into the up position.

Here you can see the spacer board folded up. This also allows easier access to the hitch pin lock.

This it a close-up of the pin assembly

I've stood on it and it held my 200#s with out issue. So two cooler with ice & beverages should work. The Big Box Hareware stores also have some nice heavy duty PVC storage boxes that could be used instead of a platform. OR, one could change from one to the other based on need.

And of course I had to add my Pirate Flag

Aarrrg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Ain't too Funk to Druck.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ketchup_xb will become famous soon enough ketchup_xb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ketchup_xb Send a message via Yahoo to ketchup_xb
Re: DIY Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier

thats pretty cool. yaaargh matey. scurvy dawg. lol is it sturdy? how much weight does it hold?

darnit. nvm. i read you stood on it.

HelaFassDooo
Thank you my HFD family from the bottom of my<3 for the rack!
2ZERO6FACTORY.COM
ACCESSORYGEEKS.COM click it for cellphone/tablet accessories with free shipping

Last edited by ketchup_xb; 11-25-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#3 Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 PM

slothead will become famous soon enough slothead will become famous soon enough

Love the skull. Put the cross bones on, too. AAARRRRGH!
#4 Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Usual Suspect

(Thread Starter)

That decal is reflective, like the vinyl they use on police cars. It lights up like a spotlight. Kinda funny how I don't get trailgated now.

I think the cross bones would be too much. My nephew told me to put a huge Shull & Cross bones on the top so the "Hellichoppers" could see it...Truthfully did think about it.

#5 Old 11-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Undercover Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Wow, new to the site, and already posting DIY's!!

Very cool indeed.

Transmitted via my Stormtrooper Comlink
#6 Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Usual Suspect

(Thread Starter)

Dion - Thanks. I had lurked here before I bought my XB. The DIY forums was
the thing that impressed me. I'm happy to share as I've got several great ideas here from the other members.
#7 Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
That decal is reflective, like the vinyl they use on police cars. It lights up like a spotlight. Kinda funny how I don't get trailgated now.

I think the cross bones would be too much. My nephew told me to put a huge Shull & Cross bones on the top so the "Hellichoppers" could see it...Truthfully did think about it.

OK no crossbones. But I really think you should go with your nephew's idea. That would be awesome! (just don't end up on TV being followed by the police.)
Reflective vinyl comes in many colors and sometimes sign stores will give you scraps. Just and idea, in case you get any more cool ideas.
#8 Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Usual Suspect

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothead View Post
.....But I really think you should go with your nephew's idea. That would be awesome! (just don't end up on TV being followed by the police.)

If I'm on TV being followed by COPS....a decal is the least of my troubles

I have a guy that did those decals for me( I have a smaller one done with black reflective tape too). Because of the shape of the roof a Skull & Cross bones like my Avatar would have to run lenght wise like a Pirate flag, I think, to be astectic. What I have concidered was that skull centered on the roof so the top of the skull is to the front of the car. That would look good from the shy and be pretty undercover from the ground for everyone except maybe Yao Ming. Buit, I bet he's like it too.

Do they make reflective wrap? I know I'd want the ablity to remove it. Damm this is gonna happen now...
#9 Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 PM

I was thinking that you would def be on viral video in two seconds if you had a pirate flag on your roof and were being chased by the cops. Yep. The decal would be the least of your legal worries and the BEGINNING of your fame worries. (But I'd cheer for ya.)

Dunno if they make reflective vinyl wrap. You could wrap it and then sticker it with reflective stuff. That I'm sure you can do. Everything's removable, just sometimes it takes a little paint with it.

Oh please put a pirate emblem on your roof! This is such a great idea, and I haven't seen it done. (Is your car lowered at all? Some of us shorter folks may have to hop to see the image.) But just knowing it's there is wonderful.
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page