VSC, Check Engine, Trac Off ????????? - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 133 Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
corhoff is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
VSC, Check Engine, Trac Off ?????????

I just installed my Fujita Short Intake on Satrurday. Everything seemed to be fine. This morning when I started my car, the VSC, Check Engine, and Trac Off lights were on. I disconnected the neg terminal of my battery for about 5 min or so and it went off for the meantime. Does this mean I have a vaccuum leak or something? All my RPMs are were they were when I had the stock intake. Has anyone else had this problem after installing an intake? How can I fix it should the lights come back on?

'06 RS 4.0 (#35 of 2500)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 AM

icecreamtruck is on a distinguished road
Re: VSC, Check Engine, Trac Off ?????????

im running the fujita sri too. when i installed mine i didnt disconnect the battery. no engine lights came on. it works completely fine. i've had it for about a month and still to this date no lights have come one. i would recheck the hoses, screws, maybe the neg battery terminal since u disconnected urs. maybe u just need ur comp to reprogram itself.

the little box that could......
www.myspace.com/pacoxb28
post #3 of 133 Old 04-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

orangepeels is on a distinguished road

NAH...make sure you tightened the two screws holding your air flow meter..if its not sealed then you will trip those lights!

post #4 of 133 Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 PM

theboxboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to theboxboy Send a message via Yahoo to theboxboy

actually yes, i dont really remember what my air intake is, ebay ... but anyway after i installed my cold air intake, my rpms and everything were fine.. untill about a week later, then the track , check eng, and the VSC lights all came on, so has anybody actually found the cause?

the lights come on and off with no warning, and nothing changes with or without them on,

anyway just to say , your not alone

TheBoxBoy
post #5 of 133 Old 04-23-2007, 07:39 AM

TattedXB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TattedXB Send a message via Yahoo to TattedXB

/\/\/\ ditto, mine still on and i've done the rset numerous times....
aem intake, had it on for 2 years+...

Check out my NEW website that tells you how to record pretty much any streaming audio or video you want. Great free-ware and share-ware links and reviews!

Record Online Media

Record Online Media Forums
post #6 of 133 Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
That Guy

ShortBus is on a distinguished road

No problems here. Does it drive fine?
If not it might have a bad MAF. if it was bumped inadvertently during the install.

Robert

Never underestimate the power of a lot of stupid people.[COLOR="Black"]
Pics Police, "Deputy"
post #7 of 133 Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM

pcmcxb is on a distinguished road

hello i dont have a cold air intake yet but my three stoogers came on friday .i took it to my deaker on sat. and they said it was a timing sensor . they should have the part this week when i go and have it fixed i am going to try and get a copy of the service bulletin and i can post it .
post #8 of 133 Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
That Guy

ShortBus is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the club and thanks for getting that for us. I have never heard of this problem.

Robert

Never underestimate the power of a lot of stupid people.[COLOR="Black"]
Pics Police, "Deputy"
post #9 of 133 Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 PM

JDMJim is on a distinguished road

only time I saw that is when I knocked the one of the ABS sensors loose on a rear spindle. pushed it back in and lights went bye bye.
post #10 of 133 Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 AM

ricknute is on a distinguished road

Im havin a similar problem. Have no engine mods, got the xB with 18K miles or so. Every once in a while the three stooogers comes on if I idle for too long, if I turn off the engine, and restart they go away. Anyone figured this out yet? Thanks in advance

Rick
post #11 of 133 Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 AM

mntegra01 is on a distinguished road

what is up with these idiot lights? I only have the VSC and TRAC OFF lights come on for me. no check engine light. Is there a service bulletin yet?

I may have accidentally mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd (twice..oops i know) but that was about 3000 miles ago.

Would horrible tire wear and bald tread throw the VSC and TRAC lights? I would assume that has nothing to do with the actual motor itself. Why would Toyota engineer a light to come on that has nothing to do with the motor if that is not the reason for the lights coming on?

My rear tires are slick as hell. 37,000 miles on original tires. BUt I got good ones up front.

This morning to work it didnt even come on. But When I go home it probably will come on. Any insight anybody?

I am SO anti-JDM, I sleep on the left side of my bed.
post #12 of 133 Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM

juiceb0xb is on a distinguished road

I have those lights on too! Took my car to Autozone and the trouble codes that they pulled up is P0441, P0442, P0446. I'm hoping it won't cost me an ridiculous amount of money to fix
post #13 of 133 Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM

mntegra01 is on a distinguished road

if my lights stayed on, I would take it to the zone, but mine come and go as they please. stinks ass. But shouldnt most of that stuff be covered under the powertrain warranty of like 100,000 miles or something?

I am SO anti-JDM, I sleep on the left side of my bed.
post #14 of 133 Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 AM

glitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
only time I saw that is when I knocked the one of the ABS sensors loose on a rear spindle. pushed it back in and lights went bye bye.
Seeing as it's a VSC code, this would make sense.

As for the CEL coming on before the VSC light comes on, it's just a warning for the computer. It's more so of a warning light than an engine specific light. CEL is just letting you know that the ECU is detecting something wrong. VSC is to let you know that it's specific to the vehicle stability control system.

When mine came on the first time, it was halfway through my 16 hour trip back home from purchasing the toaster. By the time I got home, the lights were gone but I hooked up the scanner anyway and found no codes. If it were a large enough concern, the computer would've kept on the codes in data. So I'm not really of too much concern.

I've had it come on about 4 times since beginning of May and the first two times, I figured it was large winds. I thought maybe since the car was trying to travel one direction and the wind is putting enough pressure on the car to set off a sensor...But I after reading JDMJim's response, I will have to check the ABS sensors (Although I lowered my car last month and didn't really see anything out of the ordinary but then again, I wasn't specifically looking)
post #15 of 133 Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
PCH
06.5 TCM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceb0xb View Post
I have those lights on too! Took my car to Autozone and the trouble codes that they pulled up is P0441, P0442, P0446. I'm hoping it won't cost me an ridiculous amount of money to fix
All of those codes are EVAP system related. Make sure the gas cap is tight and the EVAP solenoid valve is connected (mounted on the air filter housing). If everything is fine and the light comes back after you've cleared it, you may have the problem with the canister assembly (under the rear of the car). Check with dealer- may still be under emissions warranty.

post #16 of 133 Old 07-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Photographer & Musician

zipzip84 is on a distinguished road

Cursed idiot lights! I know they're just there to make my teeth cringe!
post #17 of 133 Old 07-29-2008, 03:14 PM

gravebox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gravebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Seeing as it's a VSC code, this would make sense.

As for the CEL coming on before the VSC light comes on, it's just a warning for the computer. It's more so of a warning light than an engine specific light. CEL is just letting you know that the ECU is detecting something wrong. VSC is to let you know that it's specific to the vehicle stability control system.

When mine came on the first time, it was halfway through my 16 hour trip back home from purchasing the toaster. By the time I got home, the lights were gone but I hooked up the scanner anyway and found no codes. If it were a large enough concern, the computer would've kept on the codes in data. So I'm not really of too much concern.

I've had it come on about 4 times since beginning of May and the first two times, I figured it was large winds. I thought maybe since the car was trying to travel one direction and the wind is putting enough pressure on the car to set off a sensor...But I after reading JDMJim's response, I will have to check the ABS sensors (Although I lowered my car last month and didn't really see anything out of the ordinary but then again, I wasn't specifically looking)
when the VSC comes on along with check engine and Trac light, it's just Toyota's new way of freaking out the customer so that they make sure to take care of the problem in a timely manner. mine came on after removing my Evap lines *removed them for a reason and put a 12" lead from the tank going to the rear to evaporate that way.* and i KNOW for a fact that it has NOTHING to do with vehicle stability control *VSC* or traction control. code thrown was P0441 *evap switch failure* because it wasn't plugged in. now it's back in temporarily.

*NOTE - Evap line causes pre-ignition and detonation with turbo vehicles so if you're planning on doing a turbo setup. take the Evap lines off and make a small lead off of the tank where the Evap line comes out and let it just evap normally so that you can run a leaner burn without worrying about pre-ignition or detonation as much. i took my evap line off in preparation for my hydrogen generator. the higher chance of pre-ignition or detonation will be a BIG problem with the generator so i took it off to prevent further detonation and pre-ignition chances. the Evap line does help with your economy to a point, but barely enough to be noticeable *around 1/10th of a mile to the gallon at most*. it's mainly an emissions thing, less raw fuel being evaporated into the atmosphere.

Previous Vehicle: New 2006.5 TMC 5spd manual Scion xB w/ Webasto 524 sunroof. 49900miles traded in

Current Vehicle: Used 2007 Black 6spd 4WD manual Toyota FJ Cruiser fully loaded. 57,450miles and on

my area of skills:

specializing in Metal Fabrication, Audio and Electrical engineering.

I R UR M@N![/CENTER]

Last edited by gravebox; 07-29-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: dyslexia sucks...
post #18 of 133 Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM

glitch is on a distinguished road

So every CEL will cause VSC light to come on?

Edmonton.AB.Canada
post #19 of 133 Old 07-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Clockwork Orange is on a distinguished road

So I keep having to replace my coil packs! What would cause this? This will be number 3 for me.

"Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well."
post #20 of 133 Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM

gravebox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gravebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
So every CEL will cause VSC light to come on?
not every, but ALOT will. i've had VSC come on for P0441 atleast now. i've had it come on for a few other codes aswell that have nothing to do with the VSC or traction control what so ever. i really do believe it's just toyota's ingenious way of scary the customer into making sure they take care of the problem ASAP rather then saying "ya i gotta take it in at some point for repairs" and having the car limp along for months or even years before repairs are ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
So I keep having to replace my coil packs! What would cause this? This will be number 3 for me.
check your sparks, make sure none are crack or if there's any oil puddling in the spark plug sockets. check for short circuits on the harness going to the coils and make sure they are dead center when putting them back on each time. if you have any type of electrical add ons such as audio equipment or anything at all with newer batteries how heavier duty alternator and such, make sure the install is done properly. make sure all the grounds for the coils are just fine without any corrosion of any kind.

Previous Vehicle: New 2006.5 TMC 5spd manual Scion xB w/ Webasto 524 sunroof. 49900miles traded in

Current Vehicle: Used 2007 Black 6spd 4WD manual Toyota FJ Cruiser fully loaded. 57,450miles and on

my area of skills:

specializing in Metal Fabrication, Audio and Electrical engineering.

I R UR M@N![/CENTER]

Last edited by gravebox; 07-29-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page