Scion xB Forum banner

Squeaky belt

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Shay.ca 
#1 ·
The car typically runs fine but when I turn on the AC there tends to be a consistent squeak starting. Is there a quick fix to this temporarily until I can replace the belt?

#3 ·
As weird as it sounds, yeah a bar of soap can help lube the belt so it doesn't squeal as much. Just be careful that it doesn't fly out of your hand otherwise the soap turns into a weapon very quickly lol

#7 ·
You need to rotate the alternator toward the front of the car. The fourth picture in this thread shows the two bolts you need to loosen and re-tighten http://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-engine/46958-diy-alternator-removal-gen-1-a.html You do NOT need to remove the bolts, just loosen them enough that the alternator rotates. I used a breaker bar for leverage. You need to look out for the VVT switch, which is near your leverage point on the engine.

BTW, don't let the other pictures in that thread scare you. You need only to remove the engine cover to do this - you do not need to remove the bumper, windshield washer reservoir, or anything else.

#9 ·
All you need is a socket wrench with extensions and something to lever the alternator in order to tighten the belt. I don't remember what size those bolt heads are, though - it's been 45k since I did my water pump.

#10 ·
I fixed mine by tightening. Worked for about a year before it started again. The second time I did it the bolt snapped and I ended up getting it out out as much as possible and had to get a ship finish. Sucked but they didn't charge me. I think I'll just get the belt replaced next time. It's the oem one on 60k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.