Urgent need help!! - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ithewitchfinder is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Urgent need help!!

So I went to change my spark plugs, which is a normal even for me with my Gen xB. However, this time I listened to the guy at Autonzone for some odd reason and bought the packet of anti-seize. I completely misunderstood the guys instructions (it was early and I was half asleep) anyway, I basically coated the entire bottom of the spark plug with the anit-seize..

Needless to say my car wouldn't start at first.. I finally got it started, however, it sounds muffled and transitions between different levels of idle.. It will idle low almost to the point of stalling but then picks back up and runs... I changed out the first set of spark plugs out with brand new ones (no anti-seize) and got the same results... I tried driving the car to possibly "burn off" the anti-seize, however, I could not get the car above 60 mph, RPM's never exceeded 3000 and at one point I am pretty sure that fireballs were flying out the tail pipe..*(which was kind of awesome yet not awesome at the same time)... i got it back to the house and the car died while I was driving into the garage.. I turned it back on and I heard a sound as if glass was breaking *shrug*... So needless to say I have no idea what to do... I have changed my spark plugs twice before and I have never had this problem.. I work on my car all the time it's just Saturday was just a bad day, I guess.... Has anyone else experienced this before..? Any help would be appreciated...

I changed my oil saturday and today I added sea foam to the gas time and crank case (oil).. also all my dashboard lights are on.. check engine, VSC, Trac Off, and Maint....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM
jpfxB

orangecherry will become famous soon enough
Re: Urgent need help!!

There should be a front page article stating DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE WALMART FLUNKIES !!! first thing to do is clear ecm memory. Disconnect positive terminal and ground it for ten seconds. Reconnect positive and drive it. The pcm make me in "limp mode" . The glass breaking sound is probably the cat coverter cooling down. Clear the ecm then get back to us to go from there

find me here:
Instagram @jpfxb
https://www.facebook.com/john.fowler.1426:
https://www.facebook.com/fortyeast.scikotics
http://www.scikotics.com/forums/member.php?19180-jpfxB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Theres no good reason not to lower it.
#3 Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM

rush3969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Prob. Mean AutoZone flunkies but same thing, can't listen to either....
#4 Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecherry View Post
There should be a front page article stating DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE WALMART FLUNKIES !!! first thing to do is clear ecm memory. Disconnect positive terminal and ground it for ten seconds. Reconnect positive and drive it. The pcm make me in "limp mode" . The glass breaking sound is probably the cat coverter cooling down. Clear the ecm then get back to us to go from there

That is the crazy part.. I NEVER listen to those doods.. I always ask on forums but for some reason Saturday I decided that it was a good day to take the bonejobs advice behind the counter... okay,.. I'll reset the ECM and get back to you guys.. thanks!

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote:
ECM or ECU..? Same thing?
#5 Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
PCH
06.5 TCM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough

Is there any chance that you had something disconnected and forgot to plug it back in? Like MAF sensor or something?

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 08:25 PM ----------

This much is enough:

#6 Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Is there any chance that you had something disconnected and forgot to plug it back in? Like MAF sensor or something?

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 08:25 PM ----------

This much is enough:

Ok so get into this.. I'm a bonehead... I totally have my spark plug wires all mixed up.. I completely diregarded the fact that they are color coded... The car idles fine and the engine sounds normal, however, it is doing the a bit of a "limp mode" at 30 and 40 mph...Unless i ease it into those speeds... i disconnected the battery and even pulled the EFI Fuse for about 10 minutes but it is still throwing codes.. I got rid of the maint light tho... is it possible that I may have damaged the MAF..? It just seems like that engine is not getting enough air... I did not even touch the MAF, so I don't know...
#7 Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough

What codes is it throwing? Misfire? Read them, it can shed some light on the situation.

#8 Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM

advs1 is on a distinguished road

if you short the positive battery lead and there is a charge in the system, which there will be, you can short out the maf. happened to me doing intake, car would not get above 3K rpm.
#9 Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 AM
jpfxB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush3969 View Post
Prob. Mean AutoZone flunkies but same thing, can't listen to either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by advs1 View Post
if you short the positive battery lead and there is a charge in the system, which there will be, you can short out the maf. happened to me doing intake, car would not get above 3K rpm.
No I meant Walmart flunkies, the zone is where they go when Walmart wont have them anymore.
Holding the terminals together is a factory service technique that drains all the capacitors so there will.be no charge on the system. You must disconnect the positive terminal first so the system doesn't search for a ground through a component. You had another issue with maf, you cannot short it out by doing this method.
Glad you got itto running correctly. When I first started out in repairing cars I had numbered clothes line pins that attached perfectly to the wires to keep them straight .....I've graduated to a whiteout pen

find me here:
Instagram @jpfxb

Quote:
#10 Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM
jpfxB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithewitchfinder View Post
Ok so get into this.. I'm a bonehead... I totally have my spark plug wires all mixed up.. I completely diregarded the fact that they are color coded... The car idles fine and the engine sounds normal, however, it is doing the a bit of a "limp mode" at 30 and 40 mph...Unless i ease it into those speeds... i disconnected the battery and even pulled the EFI Fuse for about 10 minutes but it is still throwing codes.. I got rid of the maint light tho... is it possible that I may have damaged the MAF..? It just seems like that engine is not getting enough air... I did not even touch the MAF, so I don't know...
Misses that last part, I skimmed over it. Pulling the codes will shed some light. Limp mode would have a flashing check engine light. Crossed wires and almost any amount of driving can/ will melt a catalytic converter.

find me here:
Instagram @jpfxb

Quote:
#11 Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Misses that last part, I skimmed over it. Pulling the codes will shed some light. Limp mode would have a flashing check engine light. Crossed wires and almost any amount of driving can/ will melt a catalytic converter.
Quote:
What codes is it throwing? Misfire? Read them, it can shed some light on the situation.
Quote:
No I meant Walmart flunkies, the zone is where they go when Walmart wont have them anymore.
Holding the terminals together is a factory service technique that drains all the capacitors so there will.be no charge on the system. You must disconnect the positive terminal first so the system doesn't search for a ground through a component. You had another issue with maf, you cannot short it out by doing this method.
Glad you got itto running correctly. When I first started out in repairing cars I had numbered clothes line pins that attached perfectly to the wires to keep them straight .....I've graduated to a whiteout pen

The code that the car has been throwing is P0103 "air volume air circuit fault" ... Should I try cleaning the MAF..? Even after pulling the EFI fuse and disconnecting the battery it is still doing the same thing...
#12 Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM
PCH
06.5 TCM

I'd put a new MAF in. AutoZone has them.

#13 Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I'd put a new MAF in. AutoZone has them.
Quote:
The code that the car has been throwing is P0103 "air volume air circuit fault" ... Should I try cleaning the MAF..? Even after pulling the EFI fuse and disconnecting the battery it is still doing the same thing...
So I changed the MAF and the codes vanished... Now... When the car idles it just dies... And sometime when I start it back up it sounds shards of glass or metal rubbing against each other from underneath... In addition, when I am driving on the highway it runs but barely has any horse power. Is it the catalytic conv from the spark plug wires being crossed or is it something different..? Any ideas...
#14 Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Pishtaco

BestmpgxB will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you caused major damage to your engine when you crossed the wires. I'd have your xB towed to a shop for diagnosis.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Boycotting Exxon/Mobil since 1989, BP/ARCO/Amoco since 2010

See my cross-country trip report here, & my 1000 km tank here.
#15 Old 07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
PCH
06.5 TCM

Disconnect the coils, take the plugs out and spin the motor with the starter for 5 seconds. Is it gonna make any weird noise other than from the starter?

#16 Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
jpfxB

Im gonna say that ir sounds like a burned /broken cat converter from what you are describing

find me here:
Instagram @jpfxb

Quote:
#17 Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
PCH
06.5 TCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestmpgxB View Post
It sounds like you caused major damage to your engine when you crossed the wires.
Luckily it is nearly impossible to connect the coils wrong because of the way the engine harness is built on Gen1.

#18 Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Im gonna say that ir sounds like a burned /broken cat converter from what you are describing
Quote:
Luckily it is nearly impossible to connect the coils wrong because of the way the engine harness is built on Gen1.
So if it is the catalytic converter, can I just make a straight through pipe and call it a day...? I live in Florida so there is not emission laws.. Is it worth taking it to Toyota to have it diagnosed first..?
#19 Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Floating Around Somewhere

moonray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Disconnect the coils, take the plugs out and spin the motor with the starter for 5 seconds. Is it gonna make any weird noise other than from the starter?

Why don't you try this simple test first before thinking about cutting up the exhaust system. If you do this and all you hear is the sound of the starter then it's not an engine problem. Then you can move on to the cat.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits -- Albert Einstein
#20 Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
jpfxB

Quote:
So if it is the catalytic converter, can I just make a straight through pipe and call it a day...? I live in Florida so there is not emission laws.. Is it worth taking it to Toyota to have it diagnosed first..?
If your car is in the United States I has to have a cat on it if it came with one, its a federal law not local. It you remove the cat you will have a severe backpressure drop and lose the little bit of pep it has. No need for the dealer, smaller(cheaper) independent shops will be able to tell you the trouble.
It is impossible to diagnosis a different car without being in front if it. The symptoms you have described point to a melted cat. Have a professional look at it by all means before catastrophic failure. Then get back to us please.

find me here:
Instagram @jpfxb

Quote:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page