Scion xB Forum banner

Potential new audio set up...

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  UV7 
#1 ·
I am redoing the speakers in my car and I had a couple of questions. I am currently running a Kenwood DDX771, with factory speakers, and one 12” bazooka (powered by 600watt Kenwood amp). I was wondering if I would need to purchase anything outside of the ordinary like resistors etc. or will the install be pretty straightforward? I plan to keep the same set up with the speakers being powered by the head unit and my sub running off the amp. In addition, I am trying to decide between these three speakers listed below, any input?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I will not be purchasing the items from the vendors listed, I am just using them for a specification reference.

I plan to install a pair of Pioneer TS-B400PRO to replace the dash and one of the three speakers below:

Speakers.

Kicker KSC654

Alpine SXE-1725S

Kenwood KFC-1694PS

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you're going to be too thrilled with the sound with those tweets at the dash. They are efficient and they will play off your radio, but they are designed to be amplified. These types of bullet tweets are meant to scream with ~200w RMS on them and the HU is not going to provide that kind of power.
Also, the frequency range on these is truly a tweeter's range, creating a pretty dramatic stage difference between the mids and highs. Your highs will seem overpowering, almost tinny sounding with the bulk of their frequencies coming from eye level while your mids, which will be somewhat drowned out by the tweeters, will seem to play more around your knees and midsection. This may not seem too bad in description, but it won't sound too great when your ears actually hear it.
You would probably be better off ditching the tweeters altogether and get yourself a nice component set. Install the mid in the door and the tweeter in the sail panel. You can play with the angle of the sail panel tweeter to get the stage to sound a bit more accurate, but the biggest benefit is going to be the accurate mix. Any good quality component set is going to be MUCH better balanced than mixing a coaxial set in the doors with a high-powered tweet in the dash. The component set will come with its own crossover, saving you the hassle of wiring in too low or high a load for the HU to push. Keep in mind, when you wire two 4 ohm speakers to the same channel, + to + and - to -, you are actually dropping the channel's load to 2 ohm. The lower load will mean more power output, but it will also mean more heat, more current draw, etc., which the HU may not be able to support.
...just my $.02, but I think you'd be much happier with the finished product if you went the route of a good comp set.

#3 ·
I'm in complete agreement with UV-7. Including going with a single component set and mounting the tweeter in the sail panel. You're also better off trying to choose a fairly efficient (high sensitivity) component set as well since you'll be running off of the head unit.

Based on the products you linked to, it appears you have a max budget of $150. You can actually get some decent component sets at that price. My top pick would probably be the JBL P660C.

#4 ·
Thank you for the input it makes a lot of sense not to move forward with those tweets. I get a solid discount a best buy so I am going to buy from them. My budget is expandable, I figured these speakers would be a good place to start my search.

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 01:30 AM ----------

Oh and should I just leave the factory 3" speakers in the dash or replace them with other 3"-4" 2 way speakers?

#5 ·
You can leave the factory dash speakers in place, but I would disconnect them.

And even though you get good deals from Best Buy, cross check your pricing with Sonic Electronix and Amazon. Even with your discount, Amazon and Sonic will likely have better prices on a lot of items.

Besides the JBLs I linked to, take a look at the Pioneer TS-D1720C. I would skip Alpine for the components wihin your budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.