Scion xB Forum banner

New xB toaster owner!

14K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  JPB 
#1 ·
I wanted to say hello to everyone here. I own a lot of Toyotas & I just picked up a 2006 xB in black sand pearl. Not my first color choice but it was clean & a one owner car for the right price. It has 88k miles on it and drives beautifully. In fact the mods have already begun! I ordered these items already.

1. New OEM floor mats
2. New cargo carpeted mat
3. Rear cargo cover
4. Rear bumper protector
5. Rear spoiler

I will be ordering very soon.

1. TRD RSB
2. TRD FSB
3. TRD springs, maybe depending on drop.
4. TRD exhaust
5. TRD CAI

I am also looking at wheel options. I want to stay at the 15" size and no larger then 16" to keep decent ride quality. I test drove a few xB's with 17" wheels and they road like a brick since the tire sidewall is just too thin. What is the drop of the TRD springs? My wife will be driving this a lot too so if I lower it I want it to be subtle. To be honest I don't think it looks too bad at the stock height but the wheels need serious spacers and a 1" drop would be perfect for this car. My other Toyotas include....

1989 Supercharged MR2 - 5MT
1994 Corolla DX - 5MT
1995 Supercharged Previa
2007 Corolla CE - 5MT
2008 Yaris HB - 5MT
2009 Corolla S - 5MT
2010 Prius III

Here is my new xB.

Already picked up some nicer tail lights as the OEM ones were terrible looking.

My 09 Corolla S & 89 S/C MR2.

See less See more
Reactions: carboy
#2 ·
Nice "new" xB!
I bought an 06 new and had to give it to my wife in 2008. I have been missing it. This week I bought a white 2005 with 90K on it. I was looking for a 2006 but this one was too good to pass up. It's a Florida car, has all service records and no mods. I ordered factory fog lights (used) and the lower corner grill pieces that always fall out. Next I will start on the sound replacing the old standard radio that had no inputs.
Enjoy your xB..
Matt

#3 ·
Thanks, Matt! Is there a good way to secure those lower grill pieces so they stay on? I saw a lot of cars with them missing. Are the OEM fogs a lot better than the aftermarket? They look exactly the same except the price! I've got a Kenwood 6.1" DVD/Nav HU to install too. I already put sound deadening material in the back half & noticed how poor the rear speakers looked. :lol:

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 04:17 AM ----------

I started to clean out the back of the xB and before I knew it I had gutted the back half so I decided to install sound deadening material. What a difference that made! The rear speakers sure look to need an upgrade!

I also swapped out the other tail light too. I was going to install the OEM rear spoiler I bought but I'm surprised at how hard it is to find a 12mm & 14mm drill bit. Nobody has metric drill bit except very small ones. I finally found some on Amazon so I have to wait until next week to get the spoiler installed.

Got everything reinstalled and put in the new cargo carpet mat & cargo cover. The cargo mat in finally laying flat after being rolled for a long time!

Need to order my wheels now! :D

Reactions: RS2SYBOX
#6 ·
Added new florist & I installed a rear spoiler and rear bumper cover. I ordered a set of Advanti Racing Storm S1 15x7 wheels in grey but they won't be here until the end of the month. Since I hate the look of steelies & hubcaps I installed my old 16x7 wheels from my MR2 that I had lying around since I just upgraded my MR2 set up. Looks much better I must say! :D

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 04:35 AM ----------

Added new floor mats & I installed a rear spoiler and rear bumper cover. I ordered a set of Advanti Racing Storm S1 15x7 wheels in grey but they won't be here until the end of the month. Since I hate the look of steelies & hubcaps I installed my old 16x7 wheels from my MR2 that I had lying around since I just upgraded my MR2 set up. Looks much better I must say! :D

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 04:38 AM ----------

That is weird. I tried to edit my post because auto correct made floor mats into florist & it double posted me. Can't seem to find a simple way to edit a post. What are the tricks?

#10 ·
Thumbnails....as that's what comes out when I take pictures with my phone. Not Droid savy enough to figure out how to make bigger ones.

The lid over the tweeters simply lifts up from the front. Wrap a little masking tape around the tip of a screwdriver and you have a find tool to lift it up. I cut out the stock tweets and used the left over bracket for mounting my replacements.

Not sure about size of front and rear speakers, but I'm pretty sure all the same size as I recall. The stock door and rear speakers look pretty good with decent size magnets, so didn't see much to gain by replacing them.

My favorite part of the after when putting sound deadener in the doors is they then make a nice solid thunk when closing compared to the empty can sound otherwise.

#11 ·
I'm not a computer guy at all but I save all my pictures from my phone to Photobucket. They automatically download to it, very easy. Here is the best way to show nice larger pics. This is how all of my pics are done with my phone.

Join Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing its fast and free.

After you join Photobucket you can upload your pictures from your computer to Photobucket. After the images are uploaded they will assign four links, EMail & IM,
Direct Link, HTML tag, and IMG code.

The IMG code is the easiest to use. Just right click on the IMG URL tag and it will say copied. Now when you are posting in a thread just right click again and left click on paste. The link will be displayed, not the picture. To see the picture before you post hit the Preview Post button and voila, you have pictures.

Another way with Photobucket is right click on the direct link. This link can be used to re-direct a user to the image on your photobucket page. Also the direct link can be used to post pictures here. Hit the
button, insert the direct link and the picture will appear without hitting the preview post button.

#17 ·
Falkons

#19 ·
I was waiting to install everything at once an I finally had all the parts I needed. I wanted a TRD FSB & RSB but they were't available anymore so I bought a Progress RSB and the DC Sports FSB to go with my TRD springs & KYB struts. I was able to get them all installed today. My new wheels also finally shipped from Tirerack as they have been backordered for weeks. :D After taking it for a test drive the car is transformed! It's like driving a go cart now! The car is so light and just zips through the corners. I am amazed at how fun this car it to drive. I liked it before I did the suspension but now.....WOW!!!!!!! :D

Difference in front springs OEM vs TRD in white

New front KYB strut with TRD spring & new KYB strut top

New rear springs, notice the TRD springs are progressive so should be better ride.

All the new parts ready to go on including the Progress RSB.

New parts installed, these are so easy to install.

Pic of new DC Sports FSB installed.

Bought these little covers for all of my car doors too. :D

Perfect ride height on the TRD springs. The initial drop was about 1" all around. New wheels & tires next week with an alignment.

#21 ·
I was waiting to install everything at once an I finally had all the parts I needed. I wanted a TRD FSB & RSB but they were't available anymore so I bought a Progress RSB and the DC Sports FSB to go with my TRD springs & KYB struts. I was able to get them all installed today. My new wheels also finally shipped from Tirerack as they have been backordered for weeks. :D After taking it for a test drive the car is transformed! It's like driving a go cart now! The car is so light and just zips through the corners. I am amazed at how fun this car it to drive. I liked it before I did the suspension but now.....WOW!!!!!!! :D

Perfect ride height on the TRD springs. The initial drop was about 1" all around. New wheels & tires next week with an alignment.
Except for the springs, I did pretty much what you did. I did replace the front bushings as already suggested. And agreed, marked improvement in ride.

Isn't it fun making our toasters our own? :D

Recommendation, cam bolts in the front so you can get the camber corrected when you take it in for alignment. Consider getting the Firestone lifetime deal.

#23 ·
I'll have to look at those bushings. What H bar? Any links? Who makes it? Sells it?

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 06:31 AM ----------

Except for the springs, I did pretty much what you did. I did replace the front bushings as already suggested. And agreed, marked improvement in ride.

Isn't it fun making our toasters our own? :D

Recommendation, cam bolts in the front so you can get the camber corrected when you take it in for alignment. Consider getting the Firestone lifetime deal.
I really like the look of the drop on the TRD springs. I don't like the slammed look. I like a nice even though small gap around the tire. It looks weird to me when the tire sits within the fender well.

I've never added the cam bolts on my other cars as they were able to get the proper camber since the drop wasn't severe. I'll see what happens when they check it after I get the new Advanti S1 wheels on next week. I bought a set of 195/60R15 Yokohama YK580 tires. Discount Tire had a $200 rebate on a set of 4 last week. I want it to look good but I want a nice ride too & the tires should give plenty of grip.

I don't trust the idiots at Firestone. I have an alignment guy I use that knows how to align cars that have been lowered. ;)

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 06:37 AM ----------

/\/\.. See how much fun it is to drive a really ..TIGHT box !!!!!

As I have said in the past.. The tighter the better !!!!
My 09 Corolla is very tight too & I love the feel. What other bars are available for the xB? This is what I have done on my 09 Corolla & I love the difference.

TRD Rear Sway Bar
TRD Front Strut Brace
UR Rear Upper Strut Brace
UR 19mm Rear Sway Bar in addition to the TRD RSB
UR 4-point lower front chassis brace
UR 2-point lower rear chassis brace
UR lower side chassis braces
Eibach springs
Tokico Adjustable Struts
+1 tire pack with 17x8 +35mm offset RSW Rivage wheels with 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires

It's tight and handle great! My xB is on the same path now! :D

#25 ·
That's a great price on the H brace. I found a Tanabe but it's a lot more money buts looks to be a lot better design. Worth the difference in $$$$???

Tanabe Sustec Front Under Brace for Scion XA XB 2004 2007 | eBay

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 07:34 AM ----------

That's a great price on the H brace. I found a Tanabe but it's a lot more money buts looks to be a lot better design. Worth the difference in $$$$???

Tanabe Sustec Front Under Brace for Scion XA XB 2004 2007 | eBay
I found some Energy Suspension Control arm bushing replacement set too. Has anyone replaced those also? Should these be done too?

#27 ·
Never thought about changing the control arm, so far I believe no one have done it yet.
for the Tanabe under brace, that's a little bit too expensive, I rather get the weapon R trunk bar set up for that price, I got this
Beatrush JDM Front Under Brace Scion XA XB 2004 2007 | eBay
it was on clearance, better than the oem, anyway no one can see it and it will get scratch from time to time.

#29 ·
Thanks! That looks very much like the Weapon R so I might as well get the Weapon R since it has free shipping and is a little cheaper. :D

---------- Post added 04-15-2015 at 02:46 AM ----------

My wheels finally arrived today!! :D

Reactions: mazinger357
#32 ·
I meant the Megan H bar. After doing some research I decided to pay the little extra for the higher quality JDM bar and ordered one.

I got my wheels & new Yokohama YK580 195/60R15 tires mounted today. The ride is fantastic with this combination & looks great too. The drop on the TRD springs looks perfect too without looking too low.

Got home and gave her a wash to make everything look nice!

Reactions: RS2SYBOX
#34 ·
Today I broke out all of my detailing goodies from Griot's Garage and detailed my xB. here was my process.

1. Paint prep
2. Clay bar
3. Complete compound
4. 1-step sealant/polish
5. Carnauba paste wax
6. Clean windows

Now she look great! I used both my 3" and 6" orbitals but now the shine is great and it's protected from the summer sun to come!:D

---------- Post added 04-17-2015 at 01:42 AM ----------

After detailing it I ran into town and 2 guys in a BMW came up next to me. I glanced over at them & they were checking out my xB and then both smiled and gave me a thumbs up! :D

#35 ·
Did some more work on the xB today. First thing is that these goodies showed up.

A quick pic of the old sway bar bushings show how worn out and cracked they are.

Here are the new ones on! They were a PITA to install as the bolts that came with the kit were too long at 4 1/2" but after I bought some 4" bolts it went quickly. The only problem I had was when my pry bar slipped when I was spreading it to slide the parts in place and popped me in my mouth. Cut my lip & tongue and it hurt like a mother but I forged on & got the job done!

I also installed my fog lights! Where is the wiring plug for the switch? I was hoping to put the switch in the blank above the cig lighter.

Last but not least I connected my new Scangauge II that I ordered for it from Autoanything with a 20% off coupon! :D

#41 ·
Took it into town today and the difference is noticeable. Those old end links were trash.

SuperchargedMR2, I've got to hand it to you, you're making some beautiful, discrete mods. Another congrats on the purchase.

I love those wheels. Makes me wonder how they would look on my Hot Lava RS1.

Thanks for all the updates and inspiration.

And, because I know you'll like it, I've attached a pic of the second 1986 MR2 that I owned for 13 years (before selling via eBay). The first 1986 MR2 that I purchased was stolen and stripped after 2 years of my ownership. And I have driven 1988 SC MR2's - they're over the top fun.

Gen 1 MR2's are a favorite. (My first one was the two-tone, dark green & beige.)
Thanks! I don't like mods that are over the top and too flashy. Subtle function over form mods are my favorite. When I had my old 16" MR2 wheels on the xB I like the 15" wheels more. For some reason the shape of the car looks better to me with a little more tire vs a lower profile 16" or 17" tire.

My first MR2 was an 88 SC that was stolen and never recovered after owning it 6 months. I bought an 86 several years later and back in 2002 I bought my current 89 SC. I love the Gen 1 the most too. It has more personality than the Gen 2 just like my xB. :D

P.S. I'd love to have the MR2's 1.6 liter engine in my stick xB, now that would be fun, too. The 1.5 just doesn't compare to the 1.6's quick spool up and 7500 rpm redline.
I did that transplant on my old 82 Tercel. It had dual side-draft Mikuni carbs and was very quick. It was even lighter than the xB at around 2000 lbs. I wonder how hard it would be to do in an xB? That would indeed be fun!

One more interesting P.S., the xB is within 1" of the MR2's width and length and 50lbs. in weight! It's hard to believe. (Yes, height is another story...)

xB Gen. 1
Length = 155.3 inches
Width = 66.5 inches
Height = 64.6 inches
Weight = 2395 pounds

MR2 (Gen. 1)
Length = 155.5 inches
Width = 65.6 inches
Height = 48.6 inches
Weight = 2350 pounds
I discovered this one day when I pulled the xB into the garage next to my MR2. I was shocked that it was the same length! It really surprised me considering how roomy the xB is while the MR2 is only a 2 seater. Fun facts, thanks! I don't have any plans to ever sell my MR2. It's becoming more rare and the 89 SC's are few and far between.

#37 ·
SuperchargedMR2, I've got to hand it to you, you're making some beautiful, discrete mods. Another congrats on the purchase.

I love those wheels. Makes me wonder how they would look on my Hot Lava RS1.

Thanks for all the updates and inspiration.

And, because I know you'll like it, I've attached a pic of the second 1986 MR2 that I owned for 13 years (before selling via eBay). The first 1986 MR2 that I purchased was stolen and stripped after 2 years of my ownership. And I have driven 1988 SC MR2's - they're over the top fun.

Gen 1 MR2's are a favorite. (My first one was the two-tone, dark green & beige.)

Attachments

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2
#38 ·
P.S. I'd love to have the MR2's 1.6 liter engine in my stick xB, now that would be fun, too. The 1.5 just doesn't compare to the 1.6's quick spool up and 7500 rpm redline.

Reactions: SuperchargedMR2
#40 ·
One more interesting P.S., the xB is within 1" of the MR2's width and length and 50lbs. in weight! It's hard to believe. (Yes, height is another story...)

xB Gen. 1
Length = 155.3 inches
Width = 66.5 inches
Height = 64.6 inches
Weight = 2395 pounds

MR2 (Gen. 1)
Length = 155.5 inches
Width = 65.6 inches
Height = 48.6 inches
Weight = 2350 pounds

#42 ·
I'm not normally a fan of bug deflectors since they look ugly IMO but since the front hood lip is so flat an duchies easily I ordered one for my xB. I'm amazed at how good it looks on my black xB as it disappears for the most part. Hopefully it will also help save the windshield too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.