Was given a free xB, so here I am!
My '97 Saturn finally reached the point that I felt the required repairs were not worth my time, so I put out a feeler to friends for a new car. It just happened that a friend's company was trying to get rid of a company car and they would give me the car for free.
Welcome to my 2009 Scion xB!
Now, the reason they gave it to me for free was that it didn't pass the state inspection and they didn't want to spend the money. The car came with 250,000 miles, bad bearings, and a misfiring engine. I've had the car since September and so far I've put in around $2000.
1) $350 - Replaced both rear wheel bearings (Sounded like a jet engine going down the highway.)
2) $250 - Installed a second seat (The company had removed the rear seat and lost it. I needed it cause I have kids.)
3) $80 - Replaced driver's door interior panel (A crack in the armrest continually pinched my elbow.)
4) $5 - Removed company logos (Covering the car, took me 5 hours.)
5) $15 - Waxed car
6) $25 - Replaced wheel cover (Was missing one when I got it.)
7) $40 - New Spark Plugs
8) $1000 - New Engine (Tried everything I could but determined it was probably bad piston rings. New engine - 118,000 miles.)
9) $100 - Miscellaneous tools and items used in diagnosing engine trouble.
10) $50 - Replacing various bolts and small connectors that broke doing the engine swap.
11) $25 - Oil Change for new engine
12) $210 - New Windshield (Windshield came to me with a small ding I didn't notice until it turned into a huge crack.)
12) -$100 - Sold the old engine for $100.
After all of that, my car is finally complete and in great shape compared to how I got it. I wasn't very fond of it when I first saw it, but I am really enjoying it now!