Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modding Techniques: Rod bending

29K views 80 replies 20 participants last post by  EchoSixSRT 
#1 · (Edited)
I get this question asked all the time: How did You bend it? Many interesting things are possible to be created out of aluminum rod that can be bent at much sharper angles than tubing, since rod does not collapse. Of course it requires significant effort, especially when working with larger diameter stock. But the tools are simple: thick wall steel pipe does the job.
Here is my regular set for working with materials of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" diameter:

Bending the rod that is secured in the vise:

It is just the matter of trial and error to get it done at desired angles. But the material if very forgiving to small adjustments and once everything is sanded and buffed and tool markings have been polished off, it is going to look clean:

Here is how this technique got applied to make the instrument cluster trim:

It took a while to get the angles correct on this storage area bar, but in the end everything worked out and fitted correctly:

So this is what it takes: some fantasy, time and effort with the help of right tools:

I hope it gives someone a cool idea and the way to make it come to life. Enjoy modding:)

See less See more
#6 ·
The speedo looks bright because of the long camera exposure. To get that in real life you'd probably need better led's soldered in place of the stock ones. There are easier ways to do the cubby bar and make it look good so anything is possible. Custom is fun;)

#10 ·
I've been messing with different ideas for a spring loaded cell phone holder for in front of the steering wheel. Your air freshener holder gives me some good ideas.. thanks! Great work as usual.

#21 ·
Really bad pics, my camera was out of commission back then:

The hinge was the spring loaded section from the basic clipboard. Once released the rubber cone hit the Spencer case from the back and pressed it against the top plate and bottom rod. You get the idea?

---------- Post added 02-29-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

Trees can be chopped in pieces and stuffed inside the Spencer case;)

#20 ·
if you just happen to come across pics of that clipboard gig I'd be intrigued. I want something stationary that sits on the dash over the wheel.. I'd buy a window mount but I've got an HTC Sensation and this thing is super heavy and wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.