Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modding Techniques: Rod bending

29K views 80 replies 20 participants last post by  EchoSixSRT 
#1 · (Edited)
I get this question asked all the time: How did You bend it? Many interesting things are possible to be created out of aluminum rod that can be bent at much sharper angles than tubing, since rod does not collapse. Of course it requires significant effort, especially when working with larger diameter stock. But the tools are simple: thick wall steel pipe does the job.
Here is my regular set for working with materials of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" diameter:

Bending the rod that is secured in the vise:

It is just the matter of trial and error to get it done at desired angles. But the material if very forgiving to small adjustments and once everything is sanded and buffed and tool markings have been polished off, it is going to look clean:

Here is how this technique got applied to make the instrument cluster trim:

It took a while to get the angles correct on this storage area bar, but in the end everything worked out and fitted correctly:

So this is what it takes: some fantasy, time and effort with the help of right tools:

I hope it gives someone a cool idea and the way to make it come to life. Enjoy modding:)

See less See more
#66 ·
It fit perfect like it was designed that way.......man that sure makes the handle secure I don't even need to touch the stock plastic trim.

---------- Post added 04-10-2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

just the button

#70 ·
It always starts is a mod for my own car. Sometimes people ask me to make something similar or the same or whatever they feel like asking. And sometimes they get me interested, sure why not. Inspiration is the most important part in it. I don't run a production/assembly line or anything like that, so everything i've made is a pretty much one–off (inner hatch handle braces are the only exception– i've cranked out quite a few and they are all the same:D)
The first time i did some shaping to the aluminum was not even car related– i did a vinyl LP display for someone and i thought it was fun.

#75 ·
Here is what I am trying to do...

I am going to be using Ikea's handles. They already have drilled holes for screws. So it will make my job easier
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90038541/

I might have to make the extension longer using the aluminum rod though...

Speaking of which... My goal is to make the handles to be attached straight out instead of perpendicular to the sides of the console... since it will be flaring out a bit if I make it perpendicular to the surface of the console.

This means I will have to cut the aluminum rod ends to be in angle... Any idea how to make this happen?

Also, it will be great if you can give me some tips on what you think is the best method to make that center detachable piece that can attach to the handles to mount iPad...

:)

#76 ·
Looks like a very cool project. Having to mount the handles at an angle to the console is a little difficult, you may want to mount them just the way they are and obtain the angle you want by making angled suction cup platform.
Are you in the Valley?

#78 ·
It's Lake Balboa now;)
Why not use at least a part of one of many available ipad mounts? They have adjustment swivels and clamps and what not.
Visit Lucky's Hardware on Burbank Bl and All Electronics on Oxnard- they have tons of diff parts that can inspire creativity.

#79 ·
Hm... haven't found a iPad mount I thought I could use to modify... They are mostly so gaudy looking too... If you've seen one that you think could work, please do let me know.

Thank you for the tips on the store. I will definitely check it out.

And yes, Lake Balboa!

---------- Post added 05-04-2012 at 12:45 PM ----------

I decided on using this iPad stand/mount. It was one of the few iPod stand with horizontal hinge in the back. I am thinking I can just thread aluminum rods through it.

Still have to figure out what the specific design of the detachable mount is going to be using the bent aluminum rods. I am thinking about making "S" shape frame out of it. Also the actual attachment that will connect this mount to the handle bars...

any suggestion is appreciated.

#80 ·
I finally gog off my butt and read this thread and its inspired me now. I bend aluminium to make Microphone Z Bars for touring so I have dealt with it a bit. But never thought about turning the metal into stuff for my car.. but Now I will. I need an iphone and ipod holder and who knows where i can go from there.
Thanks for the great article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.