Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modding Techniques: Rod bending

29K views 80 replies 20 participants last post by  EchoSixSRT 
#1 · (Edited)
I get this question asked all the time: How did You bend it? Many interesting things are possible to be created out of aluminum rod that can be bent at much sharper angles than tubing, since rod does not collapse. Of course it requires significant effort, especially when working with larger diameter stock. But the tools are simple: thick wall steel pipe does the job.
Here is my regular set for working with materials of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" diameter:

Bending the rod that is secured in the vise:

It is just the matter of trial and error to get it done at desired angles. But the material if very forgiving to small adjustments and once everything is sanded and buffed and tool markings have been polished off, it is going to look clean:

Here is how this technique got applied to make the instrument cluster trim:

It took a while to get the angles correct on this storage area bar, but in the end everything worked out and fitted correctly:

So this is what it takes: some fantasy, time and effort with the help of right tools:

I hope it gives someone a cool idea and the way to make it come to life. Enjoy modding:)

See less See more
#33 ·
WOW!!!!_!___!!!!!!!!
Ok that's just way nice Victor.
Pm me how much for one to 98002.

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 12:21 PM ----------

WOW!!!!_!___!!!!!!!!
Ok that's just way nice Victor.
Pm me how much for one to 98002.

#56 ·
Victor (aka PHC) asked me to post up my own little rod bending adventure so here it is. For my media accessories that can wirelessly play through my radio, thanks to the power of Bluetooth. :D

My Samsung Continuum for Pandora listening:

PSPgo for movie watching:

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 05:44 PM ----------

Victor (aka PCH) asked me to post up my own...
Sorry Victor... was typing too fast. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.