xB drivers don't just own their cars, they have relationships with them - Scion xB Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Trying To Resurface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lady Meg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Meg
(Thread Starter)
Post xB drivers don't just own their cars, they have relationships with them

There's no denying the relationship between a car enthusiast and their car. It's special, sacred, and emotional whether they want to admit it or not.

Like most car owners my age, this is not my first vehicle. But I will confess that this is the first vehicle I've ever had that still makes my heart skip a beat beyond the first month of it being in my possession. I've also never been so protective over a vehicle before, which is why my heart was absolutely broken when someone tried to break into it a couple of weeks ago. The details aren't important, at least not for this telling, but what is important is how it has affected my "relationship" with my xB.

When I first got my xB I was beside myself with glee. I was as giddy as a schoolgirl and couldn't wait to spend time going over and becoming familiar with every nook and cranny. Finding ClubxB and the awesome people in it only increased the frequency of random smiles and sighs of wonder over this dream come true, which gained me more than a few odd looks on the highway. Doing some simple mods boosted my confidence and overcoming my nearly-disastrous alarm install solidified the connection I had with my Scion. It really felt like getting to know a very good friend, a friend that I would hate to see anything bad happen to.

(Damage done to my liftgate when someone attempted to pry into it)

Discovering the slight to moderate damage that was done to my lift gate, also referred to as the back hatch for those new to all of this, sent me through a range of emotions that wouldn't have happened with any of my previous vehicles. There was the initial shock and disbelief, then the anger and rage, then the helplessness and tears, and finally the guilt. The guilt isn't because I did anything wrong but because, like any good owner/friend, I feel like there could have been something beyond the current measures done to prevent it. But in reality, there honestly wasn't.

Since the incident, I have become timid around my xB and I absolutely hate it. Washing and clay are my favorite things to do and yet I've found myself not setting aside time for this much-needed treatment. There are a couple of mods that I've been so anxious to do just sitting and waiting to be completed, but I can't even bring myself to wash my car so that it is prepped and ready for them. In complete honesty, I feel like a mom whose child fell out of a swing and broke their arm when I turned and wasn't looking.

Now, I know I'll get over these feelings of inadequacy and guilt and stop feeling like anything I do will only do more damage. However, knowing this and actually getting to that point are two completely different things. I truly believe that this is something every enthusiast faces from time to time, that feeling of discouragement and hesitancy when there's a setback or something bad happens like burnt electrical wires or vandalism. But that's the difference between car owners and car enthusiasts... that emotional connection or investment.

My mother used to repeat a saying any time I would get discouraged, and I don't really remember what it was except that it had something to do with getting on a horse. Whatever the relevance may be, I know that I've just got to get over this feeling and get back to enjoying my xB because that's why I bought it. To enjoy it. And I say to you, if you're in a similar situation, don't let whatever it is take the joy out of owning your xB. Lift up your chin, square your shoulders and get back up on that horse!

Hey, I remembered what that saying was!

~It never fails, I'm almost always in some sort of crisis. lol~

I <3 HFD

Last edited by Lady Meg; 11-04-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2011, 02:43 AM
About You Now

MIRANDA COSGROVE is on a distinguished road
Re: xB drivers don't just own their cars, they have relationships with them

good read ^_^

I truly understand where you are coming from. I had the same issue when I was doing my headliner.

"Aw, come on!". - CARLY SHAY
iCARLY
#3 Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough

I've nearly totaled my car twice from deer collisions. I cried the first time.
the damage was terrible, but I still made it home, somehow.
There are still some dents and scratches that I live with.

I'm jealous of you guys with crystal clean xBs!
#4 Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Undercover Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

That picture of your hatch saddens me, Megan, because I too know the pain of having an injured xB...

You will recover from this emotionally, and your box (I believe you told me "his" name, but I'm old so the memory is shot) will recover physically. We need to plan another "playdate" for our cars while we parents have coffee.

Transmitted via my Stormtrooper Comlink
#5 Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM

skewlbus is on a distinguished road

totally agree with you, im very protective of my baby... lol my 2nd baby id say.. after my son. ive had one front fender bender and cried because i thought for sure my xb was totalled..

ive had my front window smashed twice, i guess by some haters.. like every time i park my car to go to a store or whatever as i walk away i always look back at my ride and smile my car makes me happy i love it... it makes other people happy too the kids in my neighborhood all love to check it out when it rolls past people at the country club where i work like to see it also.

some people who see it sometime still ask what kind of car it is... im like really? in my head but it gets alot of interest, and i get compliments on it weekly.. usually. my son loves it as well.. any way good read LadyMcCoy!
#6 Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Trying To Resurface

Lady Meg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Meg
(Thread Starter)

Thank you for reading, everyone, I appreciate it immensely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingburger View Post

I LOVE that quote... very appropriate! I don't think the headliner is something I'd ever mess with, unless it was necessary. lol Not brave enough for that one!

Dion: When was that???!!

Zman: I'm moving back to Georgia, so deer will quickly be my #1 concern (again). I too have been assaulted by those suicidal creatures, years ago.

skewlbus: It's awesome to hear that you still get so much joy out of it, even after all it's been through. =) And it's nice to hear that the next generation has an appreciation for it as well.

~It never fails, I'm almost always in some sort of crisis. lol~

I <3 HFD
#7 Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Undercover Moderator

DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady McCoy View Post
Dion: When was that???!!
A little over a year ago. You've seen my car, so you know one can rise from the ashes (so to speak)...

See, just as plain as before. Which suits my "style" just fine, as you already know.

PS: Stormtroopers are hard to kill. Really.

#8 Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough
Dion, how did they fix the rear fender since its attached to the whole side of the car?

I know HIDs may hurt peoples eyes, but I find them necessary to navigating dark country roads at night.
#9 Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Undercover Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Dion, how did they fix the rear fender since its attached to the whole side of the car?
Warning: The following pictures aren't pretty.

Damaged panels cut away...

Re-skinned with a new door...

Trust me, Megan, you car will be just fine.

#10 Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
bbszero will become famous soon enough bbszero will become famous soon enough
Garage

good write up Meg. Glad you got past it, totally normal feeling that way. I remember when i got backed into and my bumper busted up. Felt like I was personally violated! Just shows the love we have for our cars.

Hub Spacers * Camber * Plate Mounts * HVAC Knobs * NS Wheels *Clazzio Seat Covers * Grip Royal steering wheels* and more.....

THE FACTORY HAS COMPLETE AIR RIDE KITS STARTING AT 1,425!
http://2zero6factory.com/
[url]http://www.facebook.com/?
#11 Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 AM

enuf2spare35 will become famous soon enough
Yes very good write up. I get the look lots of times when I pay extra to park the box out front of a place and ask the to leave it where I left it because it's complicated what the need to do to move it to a garage spot. If anyone knows that look raise your hands. Ultimately I tell them it's a scion but it's my scion then after I spend the next half hour showing it to them and they call all their valet buddies over and the people walking by wanna see the box thy start tI understand. As far as mishaps im trying to get rejuvenated from the box having to be out into this stage of unplanned rebuild twice within 3 weeks. I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep it once I get it back together.

More damage to the rear but ive posted enuf picks.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

www.airliftcompany.com
www.pyleaudio.com
www.lanzar.com
www.dynamat.com
www.thatrotorshop.com
Xtreme Sound - Cincinnati, OH, 45214

4 LIFE
United by Individuality
Hated by many, Confronted by none
He does what it takes to get the job done
Enuf said for now I won't say his name,
Don't hate the playa! Hate the game!
#12 Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 AM

wantxb is on a distinguished road

Its nice to know there are so many more people that feel the way I do cos alot of people think its wierd to have a "relationship" with your vehicle. I sure as hell don't - we have been thru too much (I'm talkin about my custom Civic that I have built up for over 7 years). Although I just got my 08 - I love it just as much as my "old" friend and I can already tell this is gonna be a wonderful journey! Btw, the Civic I built is truly built by me from the ground up excluding bodywork and it put outs over 400Whp hehe.

---------- Post added 11-06-2011 at 12:17 AM ----------

Also, I must say that although my 08 Xb is my daily, roadtrip and all-weather cruising vehicle, I am quite surprised how much "get up and go" these things have! Just ONE of the MANY things I love about it!!

---------- Post added 11-06-2011 at 12:21 AM ----------

Oh and btw, I sold my 02 Cadillac Escalade to get my Xb and I DONT regret it one bit!!! It feels damn good to not be afraid to go anywhere because of gas and for the first time in many years, I am actually gettin tired from all the driving I been doin recently hahah. Damn you guys got me on a roll lolol.
#13 Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
RS4 #303

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
sdsnybny has a spectacular aura about sdsnybny has a spectacular aura about
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsnybny

Ive been were you went, many of us have
Ms money penny was wrecked within the first month of ownership @17,000 worth of damage by the time it was all said and done.
This Community/Camaraderie is bested by NONE I wont post pics but will link my thread for those interested.
Penny On Ice

Dion- brother did I see the spokes of your wheels have become PW in the above pic???

Steve
#303 MYRS4XB/single parent its all good style
#14 Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Undercover Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsnybny View Post
Dion- brother did I see the spokes of your wheels have become PW in the above pic???
Optical illusion, but I have toyed with the idea....

#15 Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 AM

hexaHEDRON is on a distinguished road

...In Soviet Russia, xB owns you!
#16 Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM

SH0RTBUS is on a distinguished road

I'm not head-over-heels in love with the XB b/c its just a car. But I am quite fond of it

Ride slow Homie

06 XB ThunderCloud
♣ TRD Lowering Springs/Shocks/Struts/Rear Anti-Sway Bar ♣ Hotchkis Front Strut Tower Brace ♣ AEM Cold Air Intake ♣ Scion Alloys/Spoiler ♣
#17 Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Hot Mess <3

ObsessedArt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ObsessedArt

Dion, those pictures are horrifying... as i say that to myself this article rings even more true to me. I hurt when my car hurts. Thats crazy

#18 Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Undercover Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedArt View Post
Dion, those pictures are horrifying...
It still pains me to see them, but I couldn't just give up on my car if there was the slightest chance it could be repaired. Yes, it is an inanimate object, and therefore does not feel pain as we know it. And yet, it would have felt like I was giving up on a dear friend who was in pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedArt View Post
I hurt when my car hurts. That's crazy.
Not when you have a "relationship" with it.

#19 Old 11-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Hot Mess <3

ObsessedArt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ObsessedArt

yes i agree, You did such an amazing job it back up.

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page