Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY: Belt replacement info

146K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  madmaxb 
#1 ·
Here's some info on the belts.
The best wrench to use is a ratcheting 14mm combination wrench. first pic.
A breaker bar with small 14mm socket.
12 mm any kind wrench.
10 mm socket to remove the bottom engine cover.

Before jacking the car up.
1. Loosen the top alternator 12mm bolt.
2. Use the breaker bar to loosen the bottom alternator bolt. Last pic.
3. Use the 14mm ratcheting combo wrench to loosen the top Power Steering bolt. The ratcheting end allows you to break this bolt free and ratchet it loose. There is enough room to get a palm push on the wrench and break it free. Second pic.
4. Jack up the car, remove tire, use a jack stand under the frame, remove the lower engine cover plastic piece, 10 mm bolts, screws and one nut.
5. rotate the power steering pulley so you can get the breaker bar on the bolt that is under the pulley opening as shown. Third pic.
6. Remove the old belts, put the power steering belt on and I used a long screw driver between the power steering pump and the engine block. I only use enough force to push it a little more than snug. Any more force and you will stress the pump bearings. Tighten the lower PS bolt as you are holding the belt snug.
7. Put on the alternator belt around the crank pulley and water pump. I used the same long screwdriver to tighten the belt between the alternater fin and the valve cover. Again just a little more than snug, any more force and the water pump will start leaking. Tighten the top alternator 12mm bolt as you hold the belt snug. Fourth pic.
8. Re-install bottom engine cover, remove jack stand, install tire, lower car.
9. Use the 14mm ratcheting combo wrench to now tighten the lower alternator bolt. You do not need to tighten it with the breaker bar.
10 Tighten the top PS bolt with the same wrench.
I do not know how to insert the pics with each step, but here are as many as I can insert. I have a few more but can only add these 5.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
more pics
Pic one is using the breaker bar and pipe to break the lower Alternator bolt free.
Pic two is the installed belts and p/n's
another p/n pic.
Loosening the top Power steering bolt.
The last one shows prying on the alternator to tighten, but also my sweet chopped up Weapon-R CAI that I cut into a SRI and added an AEM cone filter. The main problem is the Weapon-R is a 2.5" OD and the stock rubber intake is 2.25" ID. a little silicone and alot of cussing and it will fit, I just don't know for how long until the rubber will split.

Attachments

#6 ·
Good write up did mine 2 weeks ago . :) Another helpful tip if the power steering pulley holes arent lined up with the bolts to loosen or tighten them u can get a breaker bar or wrench on the crank pulley bolt and turn it. Its easier to turn it to line the holes up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.