Scion xB Forum banner

Takata Airbag Recall: 2008-2011 XB

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  dubeexb06 
#1 ·
Just a heads up:

Toyota recalls 1.6 million U.S. vehicles for Takata air bags | Reuters
Toyota said the new recall includes some but not all Corolla, Matrix, Yaris, 4Runner, Sienna, Scion xB, Lexus ES, GX and IS vehicles built between 2006 and 2011.
Toyota adds 1.6m cars to Takata inflator recall list - Autoblog
This round of recalls affects some but not all vehicles with the following model names and years:
​2009–2011 Toyota Corolla and Matrix
2006–2011 Toyota Yaris
2010–2011 Toyota 4Runner
2011 Toyota Sienna
2008–2011 Scion xB
2007–2011 Lexus ES
2010–2011 Lexus GX
2006–2011 Lexus IS

#3 ·
At least it's the passenger side airbag that is the issue. If it was the driver's side I'd have to re-wrap my steering wheel. At least this way i can just take the dash out and bring it to them. Won't trust the dealer to take it apart properly since the last recall resulted in them damaging my hatch false floor panels.

#5 ·
I am surprised the 1st gen xB is not impacted by the Takata recall either. I get a gut feeling it will maybe affected in the future?? The Yaris models are now impacted by this recall, if I were to guess, I'm sure the parts in the vehicles are similar to the Yaris.

Does anyone know if Takata is the manufactures the air bag inflators in the 1st gen xB?

#8 ·
To echo the above poster, I haven't seen anything yet, and am also curious about that. The extent of the affect air bag models really hasn't been determined yet. The ultimatum that our US government bodies gave Takata was along the lines of: if you don't figure out a solution, we will be forced to recall ALL of your air bags... So this is the beginning of that. Unfortunately, they cannont meet the new demands of this, so it may take YEARS to actually supply and repair all of the cars affected. :|

#7 ·
Manufacturers haven't announced the full list of vehicles affected by this month's 30-million-plus expansion, but they have started. I signed up for e-mail notifications and received notice this week that my wife's Accord and my daughter's Galant fall in the range, but a VIN check at the NHTSA website shows nothing yet. https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

#10 ·
My mother-in-law took her '07 CR-V to the dealer for routine service the day after the expansion announcement, and they wouldn't let her leave in her own car, even to drive the mile home to put away her golf clubs and remove her bike rack. She loaded those in a rental Cherokee on Honda's dime, and they put her ride with all the others in the parking lot of an abandoned hotel nearby. They told her they had no idea when they'd have the replacement parts in stock, but she's not worried as long as someone else keeps footing the bill for her rental car.

#14 ·
My 2010 is part of this recall. Contacted Toyota and they set me up in a loaner vehicle till this is resolved. There's no remedy yet, so not sure how long my car will be parked. I don't intend to leave it more than a month or two without driving it. Not really comfortable with my car being parked at the dealership, but at least its covered out of the sun.

The service advisor told me they had a customer with a corolla that was recalled for the airbag and they were in a loaner for 8 months. Crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.