Scion xB Forum banner

What Mod Next?

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Elision 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Well looking for input on what mod/section I should work on next. By section I mean exterior, interior and suspension those type of things. Right now I have descent wheels lowered on DF210 with Monroe shocks/struts. Thinking list below but not sure if I should start with interior or exterior.

Exterior
-Stock wing (not sure yet need to figure out wing or no wing. which looks cleaner)
-White wheels not sure style yet (I like the ones I have just think white would set the box off)
-Professional Detail

Interior
-Seat Cover (Clazzio black with white block stitching)
-New Speakers
-Headliner dyed black
-Security system with remote start (is this worth the money)
-Armrest (mines broke)

Suspension
-Progress RSB

Future maybe if i'm keeping her for at least 5 or more years
-Air Bags (to get the low stance I love to look at when parked, yet raise her up when DD
-Supercharger (more for a show wow factor. To be honest it's still not going to be fast)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Only thing you've listed I would make a comment on is speakers.

The stock speakers are actually pretty darn good. But the stock tweeters are crap. I replaced them with a set of Infinities and I was very surprised by the difference in the highs. Vocals are much clearer.

Everything else you listed is pretty much a personal taste thing rather than functional

#3 ·
There's no reason to sell an extremely useful utilitarian car.
I guess everyone is doing it this past year, hmmm.

I mean maintenance: brakes, fluids, plugs, are a CINCH.

There's something to be said for a car that lasts 300k with minor issues.

It's also nice to have it as a nice show car and watch it start up in seconds every time and purr like a kitten after sitting for months!

Armrest: Zeta or Boomerang (ebay)
Speakers: Sonicelectronix deals: 4 channel amp, wire kit, 6.5"s all around, front
tweeters
Wrap the headliner! Dye sucks. I did this before.
Clazzio covers are a GREAT upgrade.

#4 ·
Zman I'm keeping her. Thats why I made this post. Decided like you said no reason to get ride of a paid off car that is reliable and cheap to maintain. Money can go to my retirement account or to my personal investments.

#8 ·
As in what I already have done to my car? If so yes its listed below. If you mean a list of things I want thats the list in my first post.

List of things done
-Front Emblem
-Df210 Springs
-Monroe Struts and shocks
-Tinted
-Came with wheels

List of main things I want
-Exterior detailed and maybe hood resprayed
-Wheels-Cant seem to find ones that I like in the right size. I find a sick pair but than they only come in 15s or they won't carry the color I want in the right size.
-Seat covers
-Arm rest
-Paint pillars black and ether wrap headliner in black or dye it.

---------- Post added 02-15-2015 at 08:01 PM ----------

As in what I already have done to my car? If so yes its listed below. If you mean a list of things I want thats the list in my first post.

List of things done
-Front Emblem
-Df210 Springs
-Monroe Struts and shocks
-Tinted
-Came with wheels

List of main things I want
-Exterior detailed and maybe hood resprayed
-Wheels-Cant seem to find ones that I like in the right size. I find a sick pair but than they only come in 15s or they won't carry the color I want in the right size.
-Seat covers
-Arm rest
-Paint pillars black and ether wrap headliner in black or dye it.

---------- Post added 02-15-2015 at 08:07 PM ----------

Not sure why it posted twice

#9 ·
Get the bazooka bass, there's a oem rs3200 alarm kit on e-bay right now pretty decent price, not sure about the remote start option.(do we need it?) don't forget the front sway bar and rear sway bar is a must, DC sport FSB is pretty stiff. that's it for now, might want to take it easy, there's a lot to replace. had my 2006 TCM for almost 5 yrs. still workin on it.:laugh:

#10 ·
If you are going for sound, get a good 4 or 5 channel amp and upgrade everything. Stuff like Hifonics is good, especially for the price. I'd spend about $500 including headunit on audio. You can improve it drastically this way!

I always scour the onlinecarstereo and sonicelectronix clearance pages to see what's there.

#11 ·
A couple of other thoughts.

I stripped out the entire interior of my 1st Gen Xb and laid out sound proofing to the entire floor pan. I used the inexpensive alternative to Dynamat you can get at Home Depot, Quick Roof. I also installed it to the interior of all four doors. Big improvement to road noise reduction.

I also second the motion for the Rear Sway Bar. If you want to go that way, I actually acquired one I won't be using in a parts trade. So it's available for $100 plus shipping or picked up in So Cal.

---------- Post added 02-16-2015 at 01:36 PM ----------

The sway bar is the one made by Hotchkis.

I also put in a 10" self powered Bazooka tube, mounted in the rear hatch area. Just enough thump to give my tunes the needed depth.

#12 ·
The biggest bang for your buck is going to be the rear sway bar. Once you do this, you'll wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago. ...VERY noticeable difference in handling.
Food for thought: If you'd like to see what white wheels would look like, you could always Plastidip your current wheels white and see what it looks like. If you don't like it, just peel it off.

#14 ·
Rear Sway Bar = less over steer

So it depends on what kind of daily driving you're doing. If it's primarily So Cal Freeway, then only will notice if you're doing circle on-ramps aggressively. If you're doing open county roads with twists and turns, then you'll notice the difference much more often. Much improved predictability when maneuvering.

My case, I live in a canyon and most of my daily commute is freeways.

For me, for most any front wheel drive cars that don't have a rear sway bar stock, it's one of the first mod's I would do and that's what I did. Better predictability is better.

#16 ·
Anything that dramatically cuts back on body roll and keeps the car feeling flat is going to benefit everyone, even the daily driver. Unlike some other suspension mods, this one has no downside. It doesn't make for a rougher ride. It doesn't make you more likely to bottom out. And it won't require an alignment after installation.

#18 ·
^+1 agree

#19 ·
Rear sway bar adds MORE oversteer, which is what you want on a front wheel drive car. I had one when I was on coilovers, ran the the "dragon" (US 129) once and it was a blast. It can be one of the best handling cars out there.

This is an old post about with 3 sways, but you get the idea!

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/genera...e-rear-sway-bar-review-autocross-results.html

As for mods that really help the car, sound deadening when done right makes it feel like a Lexus more than a Scion, I love that heavy door 'thud'.

Clazzio seats or any leather change the feel of the whole car, you will get compliments for years to come!

#20 ·
In truth, it really depends on the spring rate the springs you're running in conjunction with the sway bar. And if they're progressive or linear in design.

For me, I'm more interested in less "tilt" of our top heavy boxes going through the corners. The sway bar in essence helps both rear wheels stay down while navigating the twisty's. More rubber on the road, more grab of the road. That's a good thing.

#21 ·
Well getting the detail tomorrow morning. Than next friday i move from AZ to MS. Hope its a good idea to get he detail now even with the road trip. She just needs a good cleaning and interior needs to be shampooed. Next I will save up for ether those seat covers or the wheels leaning toward seat covers first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.