Scion xB Forum banner

Lifted First Gen

14K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Apocalypse_Xb 
#1 ·
So my wife's coworker was driving on the 99 Northbound in central California, just South of Fresno, when she saw this. Fortunately she was able to snap a pic and send it to my wife. Unfortunately, the quality isn't the best.

See less See more
#11 ·
OMG!!! This is my absolute first post since I got my 2012 xb in June and I just had to comment on this one!! I don't know who owns that xb, but I know they work in construction because I've seen that xb in my housing development a couple times in Clovis. My girlfriend and I just really couldn't believe it. It's definitely unique, but how do you turn??? lol

#16 ·
One of the few xB owners that doesn't have to worry about scraping a body kit, ever. That's super crazy. I live in S.S.F. and I've seen a hot pink xB limo rolling around a few times, but I haven't been able to snap a pic of it. It's like a unicorn, it knows I'm trying to get a pic and it just disappears.

#20 ·
I know your background, but I will personally refrain from making the "unsafe" claim until I can actually see the work that was performed in detail. There are plenty of people out there who would (and do) claim that modification as simple as changing the springs out on cars is unsafe. Even more when you get to adjustable suspension designs (airbags, etc) that have become quite prevalent.

#22 ·
For those who have actually been in and around the automotive aftermarket suspension industry, you would know that Central California is a hot bed for this type of company. Dating back to the at least the invention of the drop spindle, there are dozens of suspension companies (both focused on lifting and lowering) that have called the central valley home.

If individuals from one of those companies was involved in the design and fabrication of the xB, it might be pretty decent. Living here though, I know we have just as many homegrown hacks as any other place in the US. ;)

#24 ·
As mentioned you know my background and I also have more experience with lifted vehicles than I even do with lowered. The trac bar angles are too steep, and should have had the mount lowered in the center. The rear sway bar is more than likely just there for looks. I question if the rear suspension mount (body) can handle the additional torque moments created by lengthening the suspension but if they added a center pan bar to help prevent side to side movement of the axle then it probably would be fine. There is then the issue of the rear axle components not being up to handling the weight of the larger wheels/tires. I hope they upgraded the front components somehow, especially the brakes and axle shafts. The angles are probably killer on the cv joints. Then there is the issue of suspension travel in the up direction, it appears if you drove it hard off road the tires are going to end up in the wheel wells.

Yes this is all my opinion based off the two images i have seen here. However I know the Jeep TJ inside and out. The 2 door TJ is actually shorter than the gen 1 xB but it uses two sets of them rather than one.

If more photos show up or it does come out that a suspension shop built this and disproves my opinions then I will be the first to say I was wrong.

Lowering your car can also be dangerous if not done right or with inferior products. Anytime you modify your suspension you need to be sure to use good quality components, be careful when you install them, double check everything and be very careful when you first drive the vehicle to test it out. Then double check that everything is still tight and get used to how it now performs.

#26 ·
Years ago when I lived in Valdosta, Ga it would amaze me at the number of young boys who's parents bought them 4x4 trucks with big tires and never see a dirt road. Lol

#27 ·
I can almost guarantee that this xB never goes truely off road. I think I have posted in here before, but this xB is from the home of this FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cencal-trucks-are-GAY/135385739972672

I'd say the majority of lifted truck I see around her don't really see dirt. Except maybe for a ditch bank party, or the dirt driveways of local dairies.

#30 ·
I can almost guarantee that this xB never goes truely off road. I think I have posted in here before, but this xB is from the home of this FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cencal-trucks-are-GAY/135385739972672

I'd say the majority of lifted truck I see around her don't really see dirt. Except maybe for a ditch bank party, or the dirt driveways of local dairies.
That Facebook page is funny!! I used to be one of those guys. 2wd ram, 6" lift, 35" tires and it never saw dirt. Xb is so much more practical and after having an FJ cruiser that really never saw dirt either, I doubt there's much I would realistically would do off-road that the xb couldn't handle.

Still wish I could do more of the offroading thing though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.