Scion xB Forum banner

Grinding noise is driving me nuts!

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  yesthatsteve 
#1 ·
So I just tightened my alternator belt to try to eliminate a squeal. Now my car is making a grinding noise between around 1800-2100 rpms. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues. Ive already loosened the belt but the noise is still there. I'm leaning toward a possible water pump but figured i'd ask before i go spending money. Thanks in advance

---------- Post added 09-21-2014 at 03:59 PM ----------

xb grinding noise - YouTube

#2 ·
Sounds kinda like mine did. Had dealer put new belt on at. 142k miles. Picked it up and was noisey like that. Wound up being alternator bearing going out. Changed water pump at same time.

#4 ·
I'm not sure if it's coming from the top or the bottom of the engine. I'm gonna grab a mechanics stethoscope on my way home from work tonight and see if I can track this noise down. Since I've posted, the grinding is more prominent and starts at a lower rpm.

#5 ·
Were you able to track the noise down? I agree with yesthatsteve, it could be the alternator, the water pump, or could be the A/C Compressor. I have a similar noise coming from my xB. I think mine's coming from the A/C compressor. I don't have a mechanics stethoscope, but I used a big crowbar and placed it to my ear and the alternator, water pump, and A/C compressor...I barely heard the grinding on the alternator and water pump, but when I placed it on the A/C compressor I heard it big time! I was hoping it was the alternator :crying:

#6 ·
Sorry for the extremely late reply. I fixed the problem which ended up being the water pump. I first removed the serp belt and spun the alternator pulley by hand. It made no noise and spun smooth. Next I spun the water pump and it was definitely binding and had some play in it. After replacing, my noise went away. Now the problem is that I'm afraid to tighten the belt too much and stress the new water pump. So sometimes my belt squeals now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.